Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gateway m320 bios update

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2012 5:58:34 PM

I've look all over the Internet for a bios update for my old notebook, but haven't found anything. I'm trying to find a bios update for my gateway 4024gz (m320 and 4500 series board). I've checked on gateways website under all of the model names that this board is used in, and none of them list a bios update.

I need to find an update because I bought a new hard
Drive for it (250gb WD Scorpio blue eide) and the bios has a limit of 137gb.
I've already tried partitioning the hard drive in half, which only partially works.
If I split it into two 116.4gb partitions (drive C and D), I can access all of drive C, but when I put more that a few hundred MB of data on drive D it gives me delayed write errors.

Bottom line, has there EVER been a bios update for this thing??
April 11, 2012 6:35:39 PM

If Gateway doesn't make available, then there is likely no BIOS update available for your model. You are stuck with them.

Have you contacted Gateway tech support? If not, it is worth a shot. It is possible, but not likely) that an unreleased beta version may be available.

As you are working with old tech, it may be time to start giving seroius thought to a new rig.

Good luck!

http://support.gateway.com/support/ask_gateway.aspx?cmp...
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:55:31 AM

COLGeek said:
If Gateway doesn't make available, then there is likely no BIOS update available for your model. You are stuck with them.

Have you contacted Gateway tech support? If not, it is worth a shot. It is possible, but not likely) that an unreleased beta version may be available.

As you are working with old tech, it may be time to start giving seroius thought to a new rig.

Good luck!

http://support.gateway.com/support/ask_gateway.aspx?cmp...

I'v sent them a message, but i'm pretty sure that they are going to tell me that there isn't. I find it odd that they wouldn't/didn't release a bios update for this thing. They had an update for my old 2001 gateway 450sx4, but why not this one?
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 12:06:09 PM

May not have been a popular model or could have been a good initial release that didn't require an update. Good luck!
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:18:58 PM

COLGeek said:
May not have been a popular model or could have been a good initial release that didn't require an update. Good luck!

I got an email back from them, and I was right, there never was a bios update for it. but even then, they used this same mobo in 9 different laptops, why put a hard drive size limit in the bios, then never release an update to remove it in the future? At least I finally got the hard drive to work on it, I ended up partitioning it into 2 primary partitions of 116.4 (like last time), but this time I formatted the second partition as fat32 instead of ntfs, and now it's letting me use all of it without and delayed write errors.

And i'd upgrade, but I only paid $25 for this thing broken (bad hdd, missing keys, dirty, its fixed now), and I cant really afford to get anything better unless I find another broken one for cheap.
m
l

Best solution

April 12, 2012 2:35:47 PM

Glad you sorted it out. Good luck!
April 19, 2012 1:37:07 AM

Best answer selected by mybrainhurts.
m
l
!