Newbie homebuilder with random crash problems :(

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi All

First post on TH , Ive read alot of articles on TH but couldn't find anything relating to the problem I am having with my newbuild. It randomly crashes while installing programs or starting them. Twice happened when i clicked on google chrome and other times ive left the computer to install something and come back to the "windows didn't shut down properly" screen with the safe mode options.
These are the parts:
Seagate barracuda 500G sata3gbs (from a previous build , around 3.5 years old)
Palit Radeon 4850 512mb video card ,also from previous build, same age.
I7 2600k - recently purchased not overclocked .
asus p8z68 v-pro gen 3 motherboard
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps Sandforce SF-2281
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600
Coolermaster Elite 370 case with 4 12cm fans
Antec Earthwatts Green 750W Power Supply
Lite-on Dvdrw drive

any help would be greatly appreciated , and again sorry if this problem has been addressed somewhere else, I just couldn't find it. Thank You.

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
alrite, sounds good. I should have mentioned before that I am also Running windows 7 64 bit os.

another thing I am a newb to alot of bios/drivers/software issues. so ill do my best to understand . Ill run memtest tonight and post tomorrow morning. thanks again

While you are sitting around waiting for bedtime, right click on my computer, properties, advanced system settings, advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings, and make sure restart automatically is not checked.

You can check it again once this problem is resolved.

It wouldn't hurt to temporarily change the boot priority.

Put the CD in and see if it will try it. Many times the computer says "hit any key to boot from CD" quickly before it loads windows even if the hard drive is first in the lineup.

You would have to try it to see how your system will react.

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

alrite it was checked so i unchecked it.

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
ran memtest during the afternoon and dinner and it says pass complete no errors, so far since turning it back on there has been no crash but it has only been abuot 5 minutes

I have seen errors start at the 5th pass and heard of them showing up even later (like 8 - 10), but generally the errors will come pretty soon.

It is always suggested people let this run while they are sleeping, though, and through the next work day if possible. Just to be on the safe side.

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
is there always a bunch of strange symbols on the screen under the top few lines of good information? it just ran for 11 hours but i cant find anywhere that indicates how many passes have happened. my keyboard is usb which I read sometimes wont work in memtest

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
hmmm I just looked at google image -> mem test screen shot and my screen doesnt appear like any of those. I dont have a total passes counter. I have a bunch of weird symbols and stuff going all over the screen except the top 3rd. I am running the newest version of memtest , could it be flawed?

canucksfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
http://www.fixerror.net/2009/10/fix-stop-0%C3%97000000a0-internal_power_error-in-windows-7/

tried what was said on the above link and it seemed to work, but then the computer crashed with no error screen just shut off.