david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hello,
i have a toshiba a215 s5808 and i downgraded to xp service pack 3...i have a wirless driver but not a ethernet controller driver...is there any ethernet drivers out there? or can this problem be fixed? toshiba doesnt have a driver for it just the wireless...i have the 1394 network adapter but it doesnt connect...thank you for your help

If you can find out what chipset the laptop motherboard is (CPUZ program should give you that info) you can check the web site of the maker for drivers, that may work.

Other than that, install Vista or Win 7 again, or get a card with XP drivers.

david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
ok im still having problems but i have my motherboard info... where can i get an ethernet controller for an
ATI Model: SB600 chipset: ATI RS690/RS690M southbridge: ATI SB600

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Try using the the vista drivers?
If the setup complains about the OS not being vista, install it manually, the download make a temp.realtek folder it created on the C drive, there is a folder in that temp folder called WINVISTA, in there is another folder called 32 and there is your driver. tell you found new hardware wizard thing to look in that folder
Or just cut and past this in there once you extracted it.
C:\temp.realtek\WINVISTA\32

david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i did run everest but i did not get the driver i needed...i got the realtek family pci one but it doesnt work...it keeps saying network cable unplugged and its also changes numbers meaning it will say local area connection 1 then when i restart my computer it will say local area connection 2 or 3 and when i plug my ethernet in with this driver it doesnt have the lights like the green and red looking lights...also what is the 1394 adapter?...how do i get rid of it?...it says i have a 400.0 mbps connection but i have no ethernet plugged in and i have no internet

david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\David BigMac>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-93-9A-3B

david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\David BigMac>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-93-9A-3B

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g
54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-8B-DF-7D

david20011

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
did that and it still doesnt work...when i plug my ethernet in the lights dont come on...but when i restore my computer back before those drivers the lights come on on the ethernet port

The reason you can't use the drivers is because there are none for that system for Ethernet under Win7. If you want to use Ethernet, get an external card, or wait for Ethernet drivers to get made for it maybe someday. You're spending an awful lot of time on trying to ignore the fact that the drivers won't work. Not everything in tech has a solution that we can do here, maybe you can find a good hardware driver programer to write you up some drivers. Some Cheetos and Root Beer should be enough for payment.