Sign in with
Your question

CPU running hot, causing freezing.

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2012 7:06:36 PM

Hi all,

First off, great forum! I've been searching for a solution to my problem for a few days and this forum always pops up, although I've not yet found a cure.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 580, i5 750, 8gb ddr3 RAM, HD 6750, 600w Corsair PSU. I'd like to give a more detailed spec of the machine but I don't really know how to... I know it's not a NASA spec machine, but it's enough for my needs. I use it for Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Company of Heroes. It's runs fine, although a little hot, but a few days ago it started freezing when playing Company of Heroes. It's been fine for months and I've not installed or changed anything... I've run all sorts of spyware programs - Spybot, Ad Aware, Malware Anti-Malware - as well as a full scan with AVG. Nothing came up. I've tested the memory, albeit not too extensively, and run prime95 and Furmark3D. Nothing I do replicates the freezes/crashes! I've tried a fresh install of the game to no avail, I've given the pc a fairly thorough clean, treated it to some new thermal paste, left the side off with a fan blowing and still it crashes and has done little to lower the CPU core temps which are ~40c at idol and up to 98c under load, albeit a fairly light load. The GPU doesn't even reach 50c so I'm fairly certain it's not that.

Any of you knowledgable chaps got any ideas?

Thanks,
Owen
April 11, 2012 8:31:27 PM

Is the fan on the cpu spinning?

The only reason it would hit 98c is if the fan isn't spinning or the heatsink isn't attached correctly.

April 12, 2012 12:04:24 PM

The fan spins just fine at both idle and under load. I'm beginning to think it's either the heatsink (although I don't understand how a heatsink can suddenly fail) or the cpu is on its last legs. I'll be changing both fairly soon and shall report back.
April 12, 2012 1:41:11 PM

heatsinks don't fail. They can however be installed improperly or loose. Also too much or too little thermal paste can cause issues.
!