I need an advice, please :)

Eliyah

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
b"h bs"d br"h
Greetings,
I am new to this forum and I don't understand much about hardware, I am also interested in upgrading my personal computer, but I have a doubt..
first, I used to play online games a while ago, nowdays I can't find interesting games to play with :)
I should say I am not willing to invest more than the ammount I had thought of , I presume, about 400$ more or even less
anyway,
here are my computer specifitions:

Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-IPE1000
Graphic adapter: ATi Radeon 9600xt 256Mb
512mb of memory, DDR400 ( should I upgrade to more? since the memory I am using is DDR 400, not DDR 2 or 3 or any other kind of memory, therefore should I replace my motherboard? since the existing one does not support the DDR 2 or 3 )
the external hardware doesn't really matter much, I would like to replace the content of my pc so it would work better ( and perhaps even find interesting games to play with a better pc :) )

I've heard of DDR2, and DDR3, it doesn't say much to me, but I'm sure there wont be a problem with learning :)
I was also told DDR 2\3 would not be compatible to my pc, since my pc is pretty old.
what components should I upgrade?
( usually I use my computer two hours a day more or less, checking mail, and news reports, basic stuff.. but I used to spend alot of time on the computer to play online games ( a side note, this could really really damage mental health, beware of spending too much time playing these games :) )
and I can't find any interesting games to play, I am not familiar with new games, I used to play Half-life online, half-life 2 also, and some hl modifications, and call of duty, ( I also had in mind I should play world of warcraft, but there's a monthly fee.. ) anyhow, it really bothers me, it seems all the games are limited, in one way or another, some have a very small variety of weapon choice, or you have a certain way, or levels you should be progressing with, and the map, or view, or land are limited, there was a game called "PlanetSide" , I was really impressed by it, and you'd probably know why if you know this game.
I'd welcome any offer :)

on a different matter,
recently I am having trouble with my pc, and constantly there are noises coming from one of the fans, it's so strong it keeps me awake, what can I do to stop this noise?

that's it, thanks for any help, any help would be appreciated.

I use a product called "Perfect Duster" from Fry's electronics. It cleans and removes dust from fans, leaving no chemical residue. Use it once a year and your fans will last longer. As far as your current pc, I would start over and use it as a spare. You'll have to replace everything. TigerDirect had an am2 barebones special for $99 after $40 rebate that came with a case, am2 board, 3500 am2 cpu, and 1 gig of pc5300 ddr2. Not a bad deal for an occassional gamer. If you want to see more deals, I would sign up for email specials at Tigerdirect and newegg.com.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Make me the third on the list to tell you to clean/replace that bad fan.

Tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, surplus.dell.com - there's plenty of places out there where you can get a decent rig for gaming; as long as your definition of gaming doesn't include any of the newest graphics hungry titles that most of the forum posters here like. *cough*Crysis*cough*

I picked up a barebones from tiger recently for under $400 Pentium (D805,biostar,2G,nvidia256,200g) that would be more than suitable for your needs.

I OC'd it to 3.3Ghz on air without even getting good ram for it - you should be able to just fine with a similiar machine.

Before you begin flaming because I mention the dell dude - I only put that in because some people like to have a warranty come with :)