Running 3 Monitors Off 2 Graphics Cards?

JamesAllen

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I currently have a GTX460 and I love it. I am not ready to upgrade my GPU at this point, but I am thinking about running a three monitor setup. This would have two horizontal monitors for editing my videos like I have now, and a third veritcal monitor for screenwriting (I want to be able to see the entire length of the page). Is it possible to run the two horizontal monitors off the GTX460 and the third off of a cheap graphics card, or do GPUs have to be set up in crossfire (or whatever they call it now) when you run more than one. I always thought it was the latter, but I am looking for a way to avoid upgrading.

Solution
Inzone and nna2, you are both wrong. OP isn't asking about whether he wants to SLI/crossfire for games. I have a GTX 460 + GT 220 that I got for $10 running 3 monitors (2 off the 460, and 1 off the 220). Works fine, never had any issues.
Since you have a GTX 460 then you will have to get another GTX 460 and set up the two in SLI for you to be able to use three monitors with the Nvidia cards.
If you had an AMD video card then you could run all three monitors off the one card.

jerrbear89

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Inzone and nna2, you are both wrong. OP isn't asking about whether he wants to SLI/crossfire for games. I have a GTX 460 + GT 220 that I got for $10 running 3 monitors (2 off the 460, and 1 off the 220). Works fine, never had any issues.

Solution

JamesAllen

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Yes! This is what I wanted to hear. You are right that I am not doing it for games. I didn't need a more powerful card, but simply more monitors.

TRENDING THREADS