Advice for new sound card for Z-5500

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
So I'm in the process of putting together an Ivy Bridge system over the next few months and due to my lack of expertise regarding sound, I'm unsure what sound card to get.

Info on what equipment I use and for what:
I use the Z-5500s (either analog or optical) for (in order of most to least): music (mostly 80s), movies (mostly old ones but in 1080p/DTS), and games (mostly new, few oldies) and occasionally I use a pair of Etymotic HF2s when I need to keep the house quiet. Currently I use these with an X-FI XtremeMusic.

My options:

1-On-board

From what I know / have researched, the Z77 Asus boards on-board sound does not support Dolby Digital Live so I can't output 5.1 over optical from a 2.0 source (i.e for most games). Also, I've had prior experiences with older motherboards having considerable noise when connecting via analog.

2- Sound Card

I've read a lot about which cards are good for what (especially with a Z-5500) but I can't find most of those cards on the market right now. (I live in US, so I'm sort of limited to Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter, etc.).

From what's out there, I'm currently considering the following:

1- HT Omega Clara II
I like the input/output selection on this and I've read good things about it, though I've never used it / heard it in person.
2- Asus Xonar DX
No option for digital, but I've also heard really good things about this card and its cheap. Though it seems to emulate EAX past 2.0 -- but I'm not sure how that affects things considering HT Omega doesnt even use EAX afaik.
3- Asus Xonar STX
Odd input/output selection (seems geared towards headphones). Same price as HT Omega. Also heard good things.
4- Creative X-FI Titanium HD
Personally, I've had terrible experiences with Creative drivers, but I'm willing to consider this card if it's better for me compared to the STX / Clara II.

The most important thing to me is to make the most out of the Z-5500s for movies, music, and games in terms of sound quality and functionality. And if there are no noticeable detriments, I would prefer to use a single optical cable rather than a bunch of analogs. My budget is <$200 for a sound card.

Would really appreciate some suggestions and/or feedback from folks who use any of these cards with a Z-5500.

Not the best money can buy,but a good solid all-around mid-range card.
I've been using one since they were released 2009.
Trouble free drivers and good performance for the price.
2yr warranty if registered within 30 days.
AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=35596&vpn=AZTXFF7105551&manufacture=AuzenTech

http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzentech-xfi-forte-71-soundcard-review-test/1
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/846/pg7/auzentech-x-fi-forte-and-asus-xonar-ds-sound-cards-conclusion.html

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I'd steer clear of the Xonar STX. I too have the Z550's and the STX. With this combo, you need to use digital. The STX is geared for analog and headphone use. Going digital means the Z5500's DAC is used which isn't nearly as good as the STX's.

I actually found your thread here because I'm looking for a different card. The problem I'm running into is, I have a Maximus 4 extreme mobo and SLI set up, so I really want to find a sound card that will fit slot 1 while keeping my video cards in their respective x16 slots. (2 and 4)

Anyway...good luck:)

Been shopping around since my post and I'm leaning toward the ASUS Xonar D1 right now. Of course that could change in 10 mins.

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Figured the STX is geared towards headphones given its input/outputs, but thanks for the feedback.

Did you notice anything particularly bad about the software emulation of EAX >2 ?

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Oh and how about the Auzentech Meridian 2G?

Anyone have any experiences with that? It looks very similar to the HT Omega Claro II...

Also, I've heard that the DAC on the Z-5500 is bad so analog connection is recommended. Can I still get DTS/DD through analog? (I know...noob question :p )

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

While I do a lot of gaming, I never enabled EAX since this card goes to version 2 and I think the current version is 5. In my experience, EAX emulation is crap, so I have just learned to go without. For all I know, it could be excellent.