Asus GTX 560ti DirectCU 2 TOP - Fan speed problems

bamb00zle

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Hi there,

I recently bought this card and after playing a few games and monitoring temps and voltages etc. I noticed the fan speeds never exceeded 41%, even when the card is under heavy load and reaching temperatures of 58 degrees celsius. Has anybody else had a similar problem with this card or heard of anything similar? I know that Asus advertise that the DirectCU cooling means the card should not have heating issues but obviously this should not mean the fan speeds are limited in any way. I'd really like to get this sorted out and hopefully get the card running a little cooler under load so any help would be much appreciated. My specs are as follows:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz - Cooled by a Corsair A50
Asus P8Z68-V pro
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB - PC12800
Asus GTX 560ti DirectCU 2 TOP
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W Modular
640GB Samsung Spinpoint
Asus Sonar DS
Generic Opitcal drive
Thermaltake Armor Jr. Case with 2 X 120mm Cooler Master Fans for cooling

My CPU temperatures are fantastic, it never breaks 40 degrees celsius so I'm not so sure why my graphics card is getting so hot.
I can give screen shots from CPU-Z and GPU-Z if needed, might give you a clearer indication of how the speeds are rising with the temperatures.
Also if anyone could recommend any good software for tweaking and monitoring fan speeds,t hat would be great. I have used; MSI - afterburner, EVGA precision tool and Rivatuner in the past but I always feel they're a bit lacking. I'm (stupidly) waiting on the GPU tweak software from Asus to become compatible with my card but they have a habit of not meeting expectations with their software.

Thanks,

Bam

TL,DR; Fan speeds never break 41% with this card.

Ummmm....that's not hot .... that's no where near hot which is why the fan is not speeding up. I have installed 8 of those cards, none of them speed up with temps in the 50's. All the boxes I built were SLI .... running OCCT's GPU test, I get them up to 80 C w/ 1 card and 82 w/ 2 cards .... and trust me, the fan speeds up. Install and open Smart Doctor, or other tool of your choice.

bamb00zle

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I know it's not particularly hot but I'd like to keep these components for as long as possible so ideally I'd like to keep them as cool as possible, and as this card has a cooler considered better than the reference one I assumed it would at least run a bit cooler. The real problem I've found is that the fans won't spin faster than 2000rpm (is this a normal maximum fan speed for graphics cards?) and for some reason that's the speed the fans run at when MSI afterburner tells me the fans are only at 41% (GPU-Z also confirms this). Why would Asus produce as a card where the fans max out at 41%, this makes no sense to me at all. It would be interesting to know if this is a known fault with this line of cards but after hours of searching I can't seem to find anyone with similar problems.

G

im having the same problem, tried many differant programs to try ajust the speed of the fan but NONE work... been puzzling me all day!

bamb00zle

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
im having the same problem, tried many differant programs to try ajust the speed of the fan but NONE work... been puzzling me all day!

Please let me know if you find a solution/reason to this. 3 months on and I still can't figure it out but I've pretty much let it be now in all honesty.

bamb00zle

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Ok so today I downloaded Asus GPU tweak and attempted an overclock and a manual increase in the fan speed to 100% and it does work! However it seems that asus GPU tweak is the only software that will let you take the fan speed above 41% and FYI it sounds like a jet engine.

TRENDING THREADS