Release of Ivy Bridge reduce i5 price?

zoofie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I'm going to be upgrading my CPU soon, and wondering if the release of Ivy Bridge at the end of this month would reduce the price of the Sandybridge i5 cpus?

zoofie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
So I might aswell buy my i5 now, instead of wait for the ivy bridge release - unless ivy bridge is similar price of course!

At this point, if you can wait, wait for Ivy Bridge.

If you really need a system right now, buy SB.

Although IB should be a little faster, I think the greatest benefit of the IB motherboards will be the native USB3 support.

Looking at past history we don't drop prices when we release a new generation of Intel® processors. The demand for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K has been extremely high (it is our best selling processor in the enthusiast space) so I would think there would be little reason to drop any prices for these prices. Once a processor has been discontinued we have no say over its pricing since we stop selling them at that point. So if you can wait a while you can pick up one of the 3rd generation Intel Core processors otherwise you are going to get as good of a deal as you can on the 2nd generation Intel Core processors right now.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team