Sign in with
Your question

How to install Samsung 840 pro with Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2013 11:32:14 PM

I just bought a Samsung 256gb 840 pro and wanted to install it with my current GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. I never thought I'd have this many issues. I originally did the install and thought everything went fine. I then had a video editing program continue to lock up the system and couldn't figure out why. I disconnected all other HDD's and tried it again. Same thing. I then discovered that the SSD wasnt set to AHCI mode so I tried changing that in the bios and tried the install again. This time windows didn't discover the drive at all. I have read some forums about this MOBO having some issues in the past with sataIII and that the SSD should be installed in the SataII port 0, and the OS installed, then moved to the SataIII port. I tried that install and the SSD is still reading as an IDE and Im only getting around 250MB/s read/write speeds. What am I doing wrong? I'm getting very lost. If someone could walk me through this from the bios up, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
February 20, 2013 1:36:21 PM

That didn't really help. I can get the computer to load windows and boot through my sataII ports, but not through the sataIII ports with ahci enabled. Even when i get it to boot through sataII port with AHCI enabled, I'm still only getting a 250 mb transfer rate. How do i get this to be recognized through the sataIII ports?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
a c 523 V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 3:20:47 PM

1) For the MB, x58 use the intel SATAII and marvel STATIII ports. And the 3rd party SATA driver has lower performances than the intel or microsoft. So you need connect the SSD into the intel SATAII port, and you can do the benchmark test by yourself later to see which one is good, but only compaired the 4K read and write speed.

2)From start, take of the battery to clean the CMOS, then only connect the SSD and DVD drive, not other regular HDD. In the BIOS, set the DVD 1st boot, SSD 2nd boot, and storage mode is AHCI.

3)Download the intel AHCI driver into the USB for later. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

4)Boot up the PC and install the OS, when you go to the step8 in link, plug in the USB and load the intel AHCI driver, after that just load the OS. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install...

5)Install the other divers like the network, intel chipset, if you use the marvel sata ports you need install their driver too, etc. Shut down the PC, connect the regular HDD.

6) follow the Useful SSD Articles - Part 2 to tweaks / optimization the SSD. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...

m
l
February 20, 2013 3:55:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did remove the other HDD's already and installed windows on SDD via a Sata II port. I did not however install the AHCI driver you mentioned. What is this for and how will it help? Also, what is the main reason for the Sata II ports having better performance than the Sata III ports? Isn't that the idea of the Sata III ports? If I do connect the 840 pro 256GB to a sata II port, what do you think will be the expected speeds of the hard drive? Thanks.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 523 V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 5:34:48 PM

If you install the intel AHCI driver you will get maximum preformance from the intel SATS ports.

The fact is that SATAII (intel) is better than the SATAIII (like marvel), maybe it is related to design. The marvel SATAIII acts like the SATAII. If you connect the SSD to intel SATAII you will get around 270/280 MB/s in read /write. But in real world usage you will not notice the differences between intel SATAII and marvel SATAIII.

Also you can download the AS SSD to see the alignment, firmware, etc. info. http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=...
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:56:49 PM

I have the same MOBO as you. I am using an ADATA S510. I set the bios to ACHI, disconnected all other HDDs, installed the OS, booted up and installed any needed drivers, updates programs etc, shut down and plugged my HDDs back in and rebooted.

Also, I have done a few tests myself. I Did a clean instal on the intel sata II and the marvel sata III ports. I found the Marvell Sata III ports to be much faster ( measured with ATTO).

I think it may be possible that the info people come across about the Marvel ports is outdated. Future driver updates could have solved the problem.

Try a clean install on both ports, benchmark and check!
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:57:21 PM

So is it worth me keeping this SSD if I'm only getting about half the performance? If I get a slower one that only runs up to ~300 MB/s, will it actually run to the ~270 read/write? How would i get the maximum performance out of this SSD? Would i have to get a new mobo with true sataIII ports, or could i get a PCIe card with Sata III ports?
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:58:57 PM

rb420 said:
I have the same MOBO as you. I am using an ADATA S510. I set the bios to ACHI, disconnected all other HDDs, installed the OS, booted up and installed any needed drivers, updates programs etc, shut down and plugged my HDDs back in and rebooted.

Also, I have done a few tests myself. I Did a clean instal on the intel sata II and the marvel sata III ports. I found the Marvell Sata III ports to be much faster ( measured with ATTO).

I think it may be possible that the info people come across about the Marvel ports is outdated. Future driver updates could have solved the problem.

Try a clean install on both ports, benchmark and check!

I can't get my bios/windows to recognize the SSD on the Sata III ports. How did you get this? Thanks.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 523 V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 7:30:10 PM

ATTO tests with compressible data that is most use for the advertising product. In other hand AS SSD use the incompressible data to test that closed the real world usage.

But when you compaire the data you need to see the 4K read or write scores that is important for SSD performances.

Dougsoxman, if you want to play the benchmark game you need buy the new MB/CPU, if you only use the SSD you will be fine in real world usage. Read the review for the detials.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performa...
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:00:35 PM

I wasn't able to load any of the drivers for SataIII through the windows install, and I still can't get it to recognize the drive through windows setup on the SataIII port. I currently have it installed on the SataII port and installed all of the chipset drivers for the motherboard. My AS SSD test came through about half what I expected. Does this seem normal, or am I way under par for what I should be at with this hard drive? Thanks.

Seq 268.6 / 245.23
4k 28.15 / 54.91
4k-64Thrd 200.32 / 157.08
Acc. Time 0.083ms / 0.058ms
Score 255 / 237
m
l
August 26, 2013 3:51:34 PM

dougsoxman said:
I wasn't able to load any of the drivers for SataIII through the windows install, and I still can't get it to recognize the drive through windows setup on the SataIII port. I currently have it installed on the SataII port and installed all of the chipset drivers for the motherboard. My AS SSD test came through about half what I expected. Does this seem normal, or am I way under par for what I should be at with this hard drive? Thanks.

Seq 268.6 / 245.23
4k 28.15 / 54.91
4k-64Thrd 200.32 / 157.08
Acc. Time 0.083ms / 0.058ms
Score 255 / 237

Hi Doug.

I have read a ton of forums and tried like 15 fresh install combinations. The best for me is ICH on AHCI iaStor driver with F6, and I get results a bit lower than yours.
Did you find a way to improve your benchmarks? Is it as good as it gets?
Of course I am on GA-x58A-UD3R Rev 2 with a Samsung 840 pro.

Thanks!

Enrique.
m
l
!