Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SLI 460s question - how to connect bridge?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 9:35:04 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine was kinda enough to pass me down his two older GTX 460s until I get some new graphics cards (or maybe just one, better one).

I've read on the forums that you should attach the SLI bridge by lining up the arrows on the bridge with the connectors, but these ones don't seem to have arrows on the connectors. How is this supposed to connect please? I obviously don't want to damage the cards (or worse, the motherboard or anything else).

I've attached a picture.

Thanks!!!

November 3, 2011 10:59:26 PM

i have heard some debate about whether they are omni-directional (work either way round), perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could input on that

is the motherboard SLI ready? (i.e. the 2 PCIe lanes you are using are the correct distance apart to use SLI bridge)
if so should be easily attached to the same part on each card

see this photo of the SLI bridge in my case -

chaz
m
l
November 3, 2011 11:16:48 PM

Hello,

Yes it is SLI capable, I just haven't run SLI before. I thought the bridge had to go on a certain way even though it looked like it could go on the wrong way or it could destroy the gfx card and possibly even the mobo. Have I been misinformed?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 3, 2011 11:24:03 PM

Just out of curiosity what power supply are you using?

After a quick google search it seems their is no set direction the bridge has to be in.It will work either way.
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:09:37 AM

You do indeed, have a friend to pass on 2 GTX 460's to you!
From what I've read they will smoke a GTX 570...
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:32:44 AM

Ya, he's a bro for sure! :) 

I have a 1000w OCZ modular PSU, was on sale and seems future proof w/ good reviews...

To confirm then it doesn't matter how I put the bridge on? A video I had found said it did, but they were using 8800s which seems pretty old...
m
l

Best solution

November 4, 2011 4:49:51 PM

Phaleproof said:
Ya, he's a bro for sure! :) 

I have a 1000w OCZ modular PSU, was on sale and seems future proof w/ good reviews...

To confirm then it doesn't matter how I put the bridge on? A video I had found said it did, but they were using 8800s which seems pretty old...

i was unsure when i did my 1st SLI recently and googling seemed to suggest (but not confirm) that some older cards in sli needed the bridge a particular way round - none of these posts convinced and there are far more recent posts saying it didnt matter which way around it goes (omnidirectional)
if any further doubt line the bridge up like in my pic - mine work fine and performance seems to be around gtx 580 i.e. they rock

on a sidenote ive just ordered ocz zx 1000w i hope its better than the cooler master gx 750 POS ebuyer sold me bundled with haf-x im sure it will be

chaz
November 4, 2011 4:54:18 PM

apols, my android phone did a whoopsie

chaz
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 4, 2011 5:03:26 PM

Makes no difference, it is symmetrical.
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:02:06 PM