What do chipsets do? amd 760g vs 970?

markus843

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I am ordering my first AM3+ build, and I see all different types of chipsets. I see a mobo with the 760g chipset and a mobo with the 970 chipset. I'm gonna be using a phenom II x4 965 CPU with this, and an HD 7870 2gb GDDR5 PCI 3.0 with this. How much do chipsets do with performance? I see that the 970 chipsets allow the newer AM3+ processors, but since I'm getting just a phenom 965, I only need a 760G chipset mobo.
Whats the difference between these 2?

Solution
Found this: (here... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=214344 )

"There's only one true AM3+ chipset, and that's that 9XX series. The 8XX series boards that support AM3+ only do so because they have a modified BIOS, not because they were meant to support it to begin with. The 9XX boards also use a different system for power regulation, so if you're planning on overclocking, the 8XX boards may not take kindly to it. The 9XX chipset also features a faster HyperTransport, 3.1 vs 3.0.

As for a breakdown of the chipset, it goes like this:
Chipsets with no designation do not supposrt Crosfire or SLI.
G chipsets have onboard graphics, typically featuring a PCI-e x16 slot.
M chipsets have onboard graphics, typically featuring a...

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Found this: (here... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=214344 )

"There's only one true AM3+ chipset, and that's that 9XX series. The 8XX series boards that support AM3+ only do so because they have a modified BIOS, not because they were meant to support it to begin with. The 9XX boards also use a different system for power regulation, so if you're planning on overclocking, the 8XX boards may not take kindly to it. The 9XX chipset also features a faster HyperTransport, 3.1 vs 3.0.

As for a breakdown of the chipset, it goes like this:
Chipsets with no designation do not supposrt Crosfire or SLI.
G chipsets have onboard graphics, typically featuring a PCI-e x16 slot.
M chipsets have onboard graphics, typically featuring a PCI-e x16 slot. These are designed for mobile processors
GX chipsets have onboard graphics, typically featuring a PCI-e x16 slot. Supports Crossfire by also utilizing onboard graphics.
X chipsets also have PCI-e x16 slots, but typically feature two of them. Supports Crossfire.
FX chipsets also have PCI-e x16 slots, but typically feature four of them. Supports Crossfire. Also the only chipset that supports quad graphics."

Solution

markus843

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Thanks!