Sign in with
Your question

Slow Broadband (UK)

Tags:
  • Broadband
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 5, 2005 2:24:34 PM

After recently getting BT Broadband at 2Mb/s, I've struggled to attain the speed that I've expected. The fastest test I've completed on my line has indicated that my downstream is only operating at about 800kb/s and often my internet is (in real terms) running slower than dialup. Having spoken to others on my telephone exchange, I've discovered drops in speed happen at the same time for other users, but are apparently completely random. However, I am doubtful that network traffic is to blame, since such difficulties arise even in the early hours of the morning, seven days a week.

BT seem to offer little useful advice, so I turned here to see if anyone could offer any help for my noobiness. Any details necessary, just ask here.

Athlon XP 1700+
512 Mb PC2100 DDR
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT
And a partridge in a pear tree.

More about : slow broadband

June 5, 2005 4:39:41 PM

Are you using a broadband router? How far away from your local exchange are you?
June 5, 2005 4:43:39 PM

It could be distance or old cableing and connections even in your home.
They should send a service tech to your home and check signal for you.
Also, they do not guarantee 2 Mb, but you should get higher than 800 kbts.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
Related resources
June 5, 2005 6:51:35 PM

Download and run TCP Optimizer. See if that helps.

June 6, 2005 5:49:47 PM

Yeah I'm using a broadband router (BT Voyager 240 ADSL Router), and I am within half a mile of my exchange. Additionaly, I've also tried using a Netgear router, but it doesn't appear to make a difference. I've had a go with TCP optimiser, but that didn't help.

I've come to notice that the problem generally arises when I have more than one pc using the internet, despite repeated assurances from BT that I "should be able to have up to 10 PCs using the line without any network degradation".

So I would be particularly interested to hear if anyone has any tips that might be causing problems to do with my LAN.

Athlon XP 2800+
512 Mb PC3200 DDR RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
And a partridge in a pear tree.
June 7, 2005 2:08:55 PM

Set the NICs on your PCs to 100/Full Duplex.. you're experiencing high collisions probably which is killing your connection. Chances are you have a cheaper NIC in your PCs which isn't doing a good job.. but 100/full should remove most problems.
June 16, 2005 8:26:36 PM

<A HREF="http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk" target="_new">Try here mate</A>

There will prolly be a forum for your ISP (BT Broadband maybe?)

Also got to <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks" target="_new">DSL Reports</A> and use the tweaktester. Follow the instructions.

Failing all that, register at ADSL and PM me (same username). I'll see what else may help. Occasionally find me in Free chat.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
!