"Save As" window always shows large "thumbnail" icons

Hello,

I notice that when I go to save a file from the internet, the "Save As"
dialog window shows large icons. I can set the view to "list", but the next
time I go to save another file it is back with the large "thumbnail" icons,
even though the download folder is also set to "list".

Any suggestions on how to prevent this "thumbnail" view from happening would
be most appreciated,

Jon

Do you want to describe in detail how to reproduce. My Pics (and My Videos) will always show thumbnails. Nearly everything else will show list. Folder setting don't apply to Save As dialogs. You can't change this. Only the sort order can be changed (by holding down control while closing A FILE FOLDER).

Save to a different folder.
http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2pq8bqFn1d6lU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I notice that when I go to save a file from the internet, the "Save As"
> dialog window shows large icons. I can set the view to "list", but the next
> time I go to save another file it is back with the large "thumbnail" icons,
> even though the download folder is also set to "list".
>
> Any suggestions on how to prevent this "thumbnail" view from happening would
> be most appreciated,
>
> Jon

Thanks for your reply, David.

The problem is that I save *everything* into that folder, pictures, apps,
you name it, it goes there. I have a shortcut pointing to that folder for
quick access to everything I place in that folder. I've been doing it that
way in Win2K for several years now, and I need a way to do it in WinXP now.

I tried your suggestion, but even when I set up another folder (C:\Stuff,
for instance), *every* time I reboot the computer, images I wish to save
default back to the "My Pictures" folder, with the intolerable thumbnail
view in the "Save As" dialog.

If there really isn't a way to disable the ghastly "thumbnail view" when in
a "Save As" dialog box, is there at least a way to set the default download
directory for images to a "normal" folder (instead of "My Pictures")?

Thanks again for your reply,

Jon.

"David Candy" wrote:
> Do you want to describe in detail how to reproduce.
> My Pics (and My Videos) will always show thumbnails.
> Nearly everything else will show list. Folder setting don't
> apply to Save As dialogs. You can't change this. Only the
> sort order can be changed (by holding down control while
> closing A FILE FOLDER).
>
> Save to a different folder.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I notice that when I go to save a file from the internet, the "Save As"
> dialog window shows large icons. I can set the view to "list", but the
> next
> time I go to save another file it is back with the large "thumbnail"
> icons,
> even though the download folder is also set to "list".
>
> Any suggestions on how to prevent this "thumbnail" view from happening
> would
> be most appreciated,
>
> Jon

Not for Save Picture As, it should remember for other things.

There are utilities, but I haven't used them since 1995 (when there was no my pics or my docs). Search a download site for file open dialogs.
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2pqilrFj28b6U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Thanks for your reply, David.
>
> The problem is that I save *everything* into that folder, pictures, apps,
> you name it, it goes there. I have a shortcut pointing to that folder for
> quick access to everything I place in that folder. I've been doing it that
> way in Win2K for several years now, and I need a way to do it in WinXP now.
>
> I tried your suggestion, but even when I set up another folder (C:\Stuff,
> for instance), *every* time I reboot the computer, images I wish to save
> default back to the "My Pictures" folder, with the intolerable thumbnail
> view in the "Save As" dialog.
>
> If there really isn't a way to disable the ghastly "thumbnail view" when in
> a "Save As" dialog box, is there at least a way to set the default download
> directory for images to a "normal" folder (instead of "My Pictures")?
>
> Thanks again for your reply,
>
> Jon.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
> > Do you want to describe in detail how to reproduce.
> > My Pics (and My Videos) will always show thumbnails.
> > Nearly everything else will show list. Folder setting don't
> > apply to Save As dialogs. You can't change this. Only the
> > sort order can be changed (by holding down control while
> > closing A FILE FOLDER).
> >
> > Save to a different folder.
>

> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I notice that when I go to save a file from the internet, the "Save As"
> > dialog window shows large icons. I can set the view to "list", but the
> > next
> > time I go to save another file it is back with the large "thumbnail"
> > icons,
> > even though the download folder is also set to "list".
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to prevent this "thumbnail" view from happening
> > would
> > be most appreciated,
> >
> > Jon

Well darn! If it won't remember where I want to "Save Picture As" or give me the list
view in the "Save As" box, I'm flat out of luck.

Everything was working fine in Win2000, but they had to break it for WinXP; would it
be so difficult to give the user an option to turn off that horrid "Thumbnail View"?

In any case, thanks for your suggestions,

Jon