Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card not showing maximum memory

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 11:03:06 PM

Hello,
I had a problem with my laptop a few years back which resulted in it having to be completely wiped and windows reloaded. Since then I've had problems with some hardware and drivers on my laptop, such as my built in wireless, my webcam and most recently, my graphics card. It is a NVIDIA Geforce 8400, but is only showing 64mb of graphics memory when I look at my computer's specifications. I am not sure how much it was before the wipe, but it was certainly more than that. Since my laptop is a few years old, Sony Vaio does not supply new drivers or any support on their website for my model of laptop.
Any advice would be appreciated, will give more information if needed!
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 11:16:36 PM

Make sure you have all of the available Windows updates installed if possible.You never know if any of them can fix the issues your having.But if all of those things are failing then I would think the problem is due to overheating.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 1:29:04 AM

What the relation between overheating and VRAM size?

@OP, did you install the latest drivers form nVidia website for your mobile GPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 6:56:16 PM

Because if all of those things are malfunctioning then it's probably overheating.Laptops have a horrible track record for keeping componets cool.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 8:37:35 PM

I know if it's overheating it will function and read VRAM size accurately but it will Crache, Freeze, Blank screen............
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 8:50:59 PM

I was talking about previous times of overheating.If something has overheated in the past it may still work but it will work in a strange way.
m
l
!