Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming pc for Wow

Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2012 11:59:08 PM

Hello. I have never built a custom pc. I have played WoW regularly for about 3 years up until about six months ago when my laptop died. I played on low settings and got about 20 fps with it. I want to build a gaming computer for myself so that I can experience games in full detail on the highest settings. Was wondering if someone could help me with a basic build in order for me to achieve this. My budget is around 1,300 dollars but the cheaper the better because I need to include the screen, mouse, and keyboard in this. I have been researching and I know WoW doesn't take much to run on ultra. Any advice or a build I could work with would be very helpful.

More about : building gaming wow

April 12, 2012 12:26:06 AM

Psh, my 5770 maxes out WoW :p 
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 12, 2012 3:29:48 AM

If you're on a tight budget, I would probably go with an i3-21xx system paired with a 6850 (I prefer this over the 7770...). It would make a very nice and modest system for WoW. Though if you plan to play more demanding titles in the future, you may want to go for a i5-2500k and 7850 configuration. Though, of course, the Gtx560 Ti is always an option.
a c 90 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 12, 2012 4:35:10 AM

wow needs a lot of cpu power rather than gfx . a lot of guys are complaining in the games section that there i5 2500k's just aint cutting it when it comes to raids...
so you may want to step back a gen and see if you can pick up a 4-6 gore i7 that has hyperthreading rather than getting the latest i3/ i5's in this case the extra threads will make up for the shear speed of the sandybridge cpu's
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 4:37:42 AM

wow only uses 2 thread.
a c 90 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 12, 2012 4:38:01 AM

esrever said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-ove...

that system will max out wow.

with your budget if you want a better pc, you can add an ssd and change the cpu to an i5 2500k and motherboard to a z68 one/
on a raid that system will crumple and crumple hard... like i say wow needs threads. and the current crop of i3s and i5's come up short here...

as wow is very cpu bound i would like to see some benches on different cpu's just to show how much a cpu can affect a games performance... rather than just going off gfx.

a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 4:39:27 AM

wow does not need threads. the engine was made in like 2003 and it has a hard time using more than 2.
a c 90 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 12, 2012 4:41:11 AM

esrever said:
wow only uses 2 thread.

your right on the most part the game does only use 2 threads but in a raid it uses what ever is there from what i gather form the guys in the games section...
a few of em have i5 2500ks and they still cant stay over 30 fps in a 30+ raid...

so although i cant claim to have played it. i can give an opinion of what others have reported.

from what i gather it uses 2 threads to run the game and uses more when needed. its a multithreaded app that does benefit from more cores... you dont have to take my word either. check the wow forums...

a c 109 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 12, 2012 4:46:06 AM

HEXiT said:
your right on the most part the game does only use 2 threads but in a raid it uses what ever is there from what i gather form the guys in the games section...
a few of em have i5 2500ks and they still cant stay over 30 fps in a 30+ raid...

so although i cant claim to have played it. i can give an opinion of what others have reported.

from what i gather it uses 2 threads to run the game and uses more when needed. its a multithreaded app that does benefit from more cores... you dont have to take my word either. check the wow forums...

Oh wow I didn't know that. I can understand why it would be CPU intensive, though. As I noticed most MMO's only utilize about 30-40% of my GPU and is mostly CPU heavy (I usually saw 30-70% usage with my current rig). I personally haven't played WoW, but I can speak from experience with other MMO's.
a c 90 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 12, 2012 4:47:17 AM

esrever said:
wow does not need threads. the engine was made in like 2003 and it has a hard time using more than 2.
you do know the game engine has been upgraded since 2003...
the last 1 or cataclysm (what ever its called) added cpu scaling so if you have em it will use em...

like i say go check it out yourself... i have no bias either way... to me the game is poor at best and not something i would pay to play. especially after seeing the way it uses subliminal messeging (which in some countries is illegal) to keep its playerbase...
a c 90 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 12, 2012 4:54:15 AM

esrever said:
thats just how a raid is. Its not using more threads its just the raid is taxing.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921699161
im not arguing with you or your link but games companies are renowned for putting minimum specs up for games knowing full well they wont run at 30fps minimum settings... wow is 1 of em...
but il tell you what il just got a 30MB connection so il download a copy and try it on my system. hopefully i will show you that the specs posted on there site are about as useful as a chocolate kettle.
you may be rite but it does seem strange that so many with higher end cpu's are complaining about what happens in a raid..

.*update... sorry i cant. there are no active torrents for it...
so i will just have to take your word for it... but the op should understand even with the best cpu he will still struggle in certain points of the game...

!