Help with choosing the right stuff

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi guys! I am planning on building a new computer later on and i have a faint experience on how computers work.

I have chosen a list of components which i have taken intrest in and wanted to make sure this will all work!

the motherboard im choosing is a Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/189557/MOTHERBOARD_INTEL_SOCKET_1155/Asrock/Z77_EXTREME4-M.asp

1. i5-3570 http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/201325/CPU_INTEL_SOCKET_1155/Intel/BX80637I53570.asp

2. Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2gb DDR3

3. ThermalTake Overseer RX-I Tower Case - http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/177892/CASINGS_FULLTOWER/ThermalTake/VN700M1W2N.asp

Also i currently have a 650W powersupply which should do the trick and the ram i have all sorted

Now the big question, Will this work? Will this combination be perfect for gaming? And of course will the motherboard handle all this?

I had an issue before where my motherboard wasnt good enough for my psu and the HD 7850. Had to restore back the stock parts before my motherboard would of ended dead. Also willing to take any suggestions.

Solution

Alright...

But first of all - do NOT listen to what Rawens said. He obviously doesn't know jack about all this. >:\
NEVER listen to anybody who tells you that he's/she's "a gamer" and then recommends you 850W PSU right off the bat.
Such people are absolute noobs in hardware choosing and at PC building in general. I was just facepalming the entire way while I was reading through his BS.
DO NOT LISTEN TO HIS "ADVICE"! He's BSing you all the way.
Especially about AsRock's motherboards being ALL crap (that is absolute LIE) and that you should always stuff all...

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Why would you need a Micro-ATX motherboard in a Full Tower case? Do your really need that much space? Well, believe me: that much unused space won't make cooling flowchart better.
Or did you choose it simply because it costs less than ATX/E-ATX/XL-ATX motherboards?
Having a big/roomy case is always good, but having a small form-factor motherboard in such chassis isn't always good.
If you're getting that motherboard simply because it's cheap, don't get such a big case, it will be overkill for you by both size and cost.
If you're getting it not because of the low price, but for some other reason, then just don't. Seriously. Get a good ATX/E-ATX motherboard instead. :\
I can give you a couple of really good recommendations. Just tell me how much you can afford to spend, and I'll pick you an appropriate build.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Sorry, I dont know alot about motherboards only what it can do and what its used for.

Whats the best motherboard that can use crossfirex, has usb 3.0 and 2.0, 4 DDR3 Ram slots and ect i just need a affordable motherboard that can do me enough to use crossfirex in the future and that can do great for gaming thats relativly affordable :).

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Over 9000!!!11 of them....I'm dead serious. It hard to narrow to just a couple of motherboards by just those specs alone. :\

Come on, man...just tell me how much you're actually willing to spend. I'll make it nice and beautiful for you. %)
Seriously, naming your budget is the most easiest way to put me into right direction so that I can help you.

muhfq

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
There is not much price difference between microATX and ATX.
(microATX or ATX) is form factor..
if you are buying ATX casing.. then should go for ATX MB. It will allow you to play more.. add more hardware .. MB should have 4 RAM slots..
I will recommend 16GB RAM.. or buy 4+4 or one 8GB RAM stick. so if you want to add more RAM you can add
When you are buying Power supply..
Should have enough power to handle hardware you are going to install
Is this PS silent?
I computer CASE without grill or screen, holes for air ventilation.. Actually you don’t need.. one case fan is more than enough..
Because of grill or screen.. Lots of sitting dust will go inside the CASE and lots of extra noise from (FANs) will come out.. Which will bother ..if you are spending more time with computer. Quite PC is better.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Ok lol. Well im hoping to spend no more than $300 but if i have to I will go up to $400 but i just want something practical that can handle my gaming setup with those specs

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I totaly agree. PSU i currently have is quiet and has a grill. I got it from ebay and its a 'GC' brand? I havnt heard of the brand but its quiet and does the trick. Allthough the guy at the computer shop said its a bit weak. So should i possible get a new psu just to be on the safe side?

And yeah like i said above to the other guy im willing to spend up to $400 but would be more satisfied with just spending around $300

rawens-ward

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hi to say first im a gamer and i have made few mistakes so i will share this with you.
Rule number one never save money on motherboard never,and psu.
Do not buy Micro atx motherboard for gaming ,why well if you play a lots then you need good cpu cooler and those are bit big in size ,and then you want be able to use all ram slots which is important.Asrock make bad motherboards and their support is poor,the best is i would say buy used Sabertooth from ultimate force edition ,or one of the republic of gamers editions formula both made by Asus.Some may disagree but they make the best motherboards.Still better used one like that then new asrock.The mr muhfq ask why you bus psu well i think he didint read your post or he plays pac man,850w thats safe and sound you will never have to worry again about power,you did describe you will use crossfirex so you needed.Case fans again quiet pc better geez dont listen to this,first case should have one fan in front ,at the back and at best two on the side both blowing in one on gpu and other on cpu.I have all fans 5 of them 120mm from thermaltake and they are quiet.But most important is that you do not over heat your case from inside,i did it then i opened side panel and at first was cool till the dust went in.Cool your case and never open your pc,and two gpu playing high quality games can heat up case quickly. Thats all i can advise you decision is yours ,and i also invested in modular psu saves you lots of space in case and cables dont create hot spots in the case.Good luck sorry for my English its not my mother language.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Hi rawens.

Thank you so much! This has answered many question! So its probebly best not to use crossfirex and stick with a powerful card. And as expensive as a 850w sounds i suppose safe is what i want so ill order one later thanks again

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Alright...

But first of all - do NOT listen to what Rawens said. He obviously doesn't know jack about all this. >:\
NEVER listen to anybody who tells you that he's/she's "a gamer" and then recommends you 850W PSU right off the bat.
Such people are absolute noobs in hardware choosing and at PC building in general. I was just facepalming the entire way while I was reading through his BS.
DO NOT LISTEN TO HIS "ADVICE"! He's BSing you all the way.
Especially about AsRock's motherboards being ALL crap (that is absolute LIE) and that you should always stuff all memory slots in your motherboard.

Anyway...aside from that:

So..."Techbuy", huh?
Hmmm...let's see...~400$...

1. Case - BitFenix "Raider". Very good quality, very roomy for a Mid-Tower case, many options, looks great. BitFenix almost always makes top-notch stuff for affordable prices. 100$.
2. Motherboard - Gigabyte "GA-F2A85X-D3H" (That's the lowest you should get with such money, really. It's a very decent board for that money). 105$.
3. Processor - AMD APU "Trinity" A10 5800K (It's the most top "FM 2" socket APU at the current moment. It has entire HD 7660 on-board, and that integrated GPU can be easily CFXed with discrete Radeon HD 6670, thus making a very capable, TRUE "GAMING" setup). 150$.
4. Memory - G.Skill "RipJaws" 4GB ("2GBx2" Kit, 1333MHz, Timings: 7-7-7-21, Voltage: 1.5V). Not the very best out there, but very good memory for such tight budget. 40$.

And that's roughly 395$.

4. Optional: Video Card - PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 2GB (Just CFX it with Processor's on-board Graphics and you'll be able to play most of modern games on high settings just fine, and some even at maximums!). 95$.

That's 490$ (500, if you round it to highest) in all. That's really the best you can get for that money.
Your PSU will be more than enough for that build, it leaves quite much room for upgrade (more memory can be applied later, new FM2-socket processors would be coming later, it's also best to change CPU Cooler for something better later, even though you'll be just fine with stock one for some time).

Solution

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks master_chan i suppose your right though. Ill take your advice also yes techbuy is the only Australian good quality online store iv found as i want to buy my stuff thats from australia so the postage isnt so high.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Another question thogh. Will i still be able to use my HD 7850? Or would it be better to get the 6670

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You would still be able to use it just fine, you'll just won't be able to CFX it with on-board HD 7660, because top Trinity supports only CFXing with HD 6570 and HD 6670.
Maybe next FM2-socket processor would be able to CFX with modern cards, but not at this moment. If you ALREADY HAVE HD 7850, then getting HD 6670 isn't really necessary.

You are always welcome.

I'm almost always right. :3
I've build hundreds of different builds from a scratch, during my life, and I definitely know my stuff when it comes to something like this.

Clickity-click!

Have a nice day/night and I wish you the best of results in anything you do, mate.

rawens-ward

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Master_chen first there is no need for saying i dont know jack or etc don't judge people so fast. Im a gamer since i was a kid and started on my commodore c64. Im 37 years old now and i have won serval gaming competition in europe. But that's not the point strong psu is always the most thing you should have so then you are never limited to any setup,overclocking,sli or crossfirex,cpu well those are made more power saving now but anyway.To tell you friend of mine was saying like you ,he bought another card for sli and ups system wont start,and as he spend all money on the card then i had to help him with his psu issue.Next i don't lie about asrock i do not know if you are from europe or us ,but range of product they send to europe well didint do so well.In my local pc store most guarantee and returns where from asrock ,thats why i made this statment.
I also have owned asrock on LGA1156 H55LE which have frozen my system once in while after getting new one from asus all ok.On the end he makes the decision if he goes with one gpu 650w is more than enough but with sli or so get higher power.Just for the record a single full load gpu 7850 radeon on full stress uses around 274W that x2 plus the rest of the stuff.So is that a BS too master chen,and im not a noob.Regarding the ram slots decent rig should have 16gb of ram thats 4x4 ,when one fails ,and that we know happends is better to replace single 4gb ram then 8gb ram ,or is that also BS.

To Lolz1314 you choose your setup you have master chen advise and mine i didint mean to BS you,remember that in pc building balance is important ,you can have 850 psu and two gpu,ati or nvidia but if your cpu is weak your setup will suffer.But then if you do not have enough power your system becomes unstable so check the specs of stuff you buy the power consumption and you will be fine(look at the consumption in full stress not idle)
I rather go for Nvidia they make not better cards but better drivers,but master chen will disagree as he looks like AMD fan,which is ok,but just saying.All the best tou you and last just when you do this think when can you afford upgrade if you go with master chen setup.You know why i tell you ,you bring your pc home start the engine ,you put Crysis 3 dvd install the game ,then you start the game your blood pressure goes up,you go to graphic option set ultra,click start game and ups big disapoitment ,and then you say why i have great rig.Think about that .

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks rawens for your input, also i know your not bs. I take in anyones opinions as each as entitled to their own opinions and each post helps. Also just a quick question i just relized that I have bought a FM2 socket motherboard.... since the most advanced fm2 cpu i know of is a amd a10.. will this be enough for gaming? If not will later in future do you think a new FM2 socket will suit better? I do lost of video editing and rendering and i play high end games all the time.

rawens-ward

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Ok i say im not a amd guy and i do not know much about their product as im nvidia and intel guy.But i just talk to friend of mine from my team his knowledge is better then mine.His answer was that the A10-5800k is best as it comes to that socket,he also said its good to buy black edition from that processor.Regarding the newer cpu's to come i dont think so i would assume this is it ,you know like the intels 1156 socket was same story.
Master chen wrote ok to choose this setup for your budget.But like i said before never limit yourself,because now when you will not be happy with it ,you have to replace mobo and cpu.In the end its gonna cost you more when you add up the cost.Like the chen said try to hook up you gpu with the inegreated gpu and lets hope your cpu will manage.Next time go for intel its not about just me ,amd encoding is poor .If you have any more questions i will be glad to help.

rawens-ward

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Ok i say im not a amd guy and i do not know much about their product as im nvidia and intel guy.But i just talk to friend of mine from my team his knowledge is better then mine.His answer was that the A10-5800k is best as it comes to that socket,he also said its good to buy black edition from that processor.Regarding the newer cpu's to come i dont think so i would assume this is it ,you know like the intels 1156 socket was same story.
Master chen wrote ok to choose this setup for your budget.But like i said before never limit yourself,because now when you will not be happy with it ,you have to replace mobo and cpu.In the end its gonna cost you more when you add up the cost.Like the chen said try to hook up you gpu with the inegreated gpu and lets hope your cpu will manage.Next time go for intel its not about just me ,amd encoding is poor .If you have any more questions i will be glad to help.