NeedMobo Recommendations for i7-3970X processor

msllc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hi All,

I am building a new rig and would like to spend the bucks on an Intel i7-3970X processor. What LGA 2011 mobos should I be looking at? Something that fits in an ATX case has USB 3.0, Thunderbolt if possible, and runs Windows 8. Also, video card recommendations to connect to a Dell U3011 monitor would be appreciated as well. Should I buy now, or will there be better Processors/Mobos coming in the near future? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

bignastyid

Titan
I'd get the ASUS Rampage Formula IV( i have one and its been a very good board). As for the video card what will you be doing with it(gaming, CAD, video editing, etc)? There are many cards that support dual link dvi but some are better at certain tasks than others.

msllc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

Thanks bignastyid,

The rig will be used from everything from daily work, gaming, TV viewing (via Ceton Tuner), and heavy on the Video editing as well. I may also get a 2nd Dell U3011 monitor, so something that supports dual monitors really well would be good too. I'm willing to spend more for stability, performance, and awesomeness. :)

bignastyid

Titan
You may want to look at a card like the GTX Titan, I don't think its available just yet but will be soon. Other than that you'd bee looking at a crossfire or SLI setup with 2 7970's or 2 680's or even a single 690, but at that resolution I think a Titan or 2 would be best. To be sure id check the Titan benchmarks that should be coming out tomorrow(from what i hear).