Upgrading a 3yr old system.

vashanime04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I need to upgrade my cruddy computer case(Yea i cheaped out when i made this) and since im upgrading that i thought i would go ahead and upgrade some of my other parts and see what else you guys think i should upgrade. This is what im currently running.
Current Setup:
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2

What i'm currently looking at a case and new power supply but interested in upping my motherboard awell.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition - Nicer case and better airflow than what i have
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M - Modular would help with the clutter of the wires

(Maybe)
ASUS Rampage III
CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Any advice would be helpful :)

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
For the motherboard upgrade, I would say to not do it unless it breaks or something, or you need a feature that it doesn't have and that you can't obtain with an add on card.

If you want to splurge on the case, go for it, but it seems kind of unnecessary to me.

I wouldn't upgrade a PSU just for modular cables, it seems like a waste to me. I would just get a case with better wire management and hide them in places like behind the motherboard tray, or in HDD cages.

The 24 GB of RAM is not worth it, I would upgrade to 12GB max, unless you want to actually use memory intensive applications such as Blender, video editing, etc.

I would actually prioritize the budget towards upgrading the GPUs.

What are your thoughts?

vashanime04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I unfortunately use memory intensive programs :(. I understand where you are coming from with the mobo that's why I wasn't sold on upgrading yet. My gpu is out of date but I'm still able to run my games well. I have my eye on the 7970 when it comes out this year. My CPU should be fine. The case is nice but I'm looking at others aswell. :)

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
hey ur rig is very good..and ur psu one of the best just buy a some thing for cable management and ur cpu is also fine why u want to change ur cpu i dont know..the only thing u can change is gfx and ram..core for 12gb corsair vengeance ram it will be very much enough and gfx go for gtx 580 if u can afford or gtx 570 it will be enough..

vashanime04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I dont want to change my cpu. lol my gpu(Graphics card) is something i wanna change when the 7970 comes out later this year. The only thing i m going to change soon is my case. It doesnt handle heat very well and with the 4870x2 heating up i would rather it be in a case that can cool it down efficiently.