Can i ruin a graphics card by touching it?

egil87

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hehe, I know that I may be asking a stupid question, but I got a new graphics card today. GTX 580, and I am so happy about it!!!

So I don't want anything to happen to it. Is there a possibility that I may ruin it if i touch the back of the card when it's not installed yet?
Is it easy to break off the small bits and metal pieces that are on the back? I held it today and touched the back, and im a little scared that I may have ruined something by holding it like that(its so heavy after all).

AbdullahG

Distinguished
^+1
Do not touch the gold part of the card. You can add grease to it and let's just say things won't turn out well. Don't overreact if you do. I have many times, but just make sure your hand are clean. Always ground yourself be touching your case or wearing an anti-static wrist strap.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
1.) Don't touch the gold pin connectors that go into the PCI slot
2.) Ground yourself (touch something metal, like your case)
3.) Make sure your hands are dry

4745454b

Titan
Touching it while off shouldn't be an issue unless you break something off. Touching it while on can possibly lead to a short. I had a computer running with the side off, and something metal fell from above and touched the GPU for a second on its fall to the ground. The computer instantly turned off. I said a prayer, and turned it back on, and thankfully all was well. I'm assuming that if it hit a different section of the card it could have caused a short and the GPU would have died.

Don't rough it up and don't touch the gold fingers. You should be fine.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Make sure your hands are dry? Your skin contains oils.....dry hands suck.

Make sure your hands are free of foreign particals.... Wash and dry your hands thoroughly. Prior to touching the graphics card, make contact with a grounded, metal object (case works fine). Don't touch the contacts on the card as your skin contains natural oils that could (does NOT mean "will") cause problems.

egil87

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Ok! I had clean hands. I was sitting on my bed, but i touched the lamp neck prior to touching the card. I touched it like 10 seconds before i opended the anti-stat bag it was in.

I hope everything is in order. I get kind of OCD-like with these kinds of things. Start thinking i have ruined it already! XD

jdwii

Splendid

Are you drunk of course not. !! !!!!! :kaola:

The gold is not going to be affected by skin oils.....that's why gold is so expensive, it's not affected by just about anything :)

Of course oil on the gold can result in a minor resistance between the contacts so just wipe the card off with a screen wipe or paper towel w/ a dab of isoprophyl alcohol.

I have been building puters since 1986 .... never used a wrist strap, anti static mat, etc. I don't wear shoes while building, especially where there's carpets, work on a wood table with vinyl covered cushion and white table cloth .... lay all components on the bags the came in and use quality tools .... touch grounded metal before picking up anything, wash hands before building .....of yeah ....RTFM .... twice....for everything

egil87

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Ah, thanks guys! You all make me feel much better about this whole computer project!

"RTFM" - Read the ******* manual?