Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crackling in speaker

Last response: in Components
April 12, 2012 7:17:53 AM

I just got done building my new computer last week...I have a set of monsoon 5.1 surround sound speakers that i bought brand new years ago and i love them but there is just one speaker that has a crackling sound coming out of it with or without music playing...I know that its not a sound card issue because it started crackling on my old build and i have changed out sound cards before...I really love these monsoons dont want to give them up but the crackling drives me nuts any ideas... :cry: 

More about : crackling speaker

April 12, 2012 8:10:30 AM

colragland said:
I just got done building my new computer last week...I have a set of monsoon 5.1 surround sound speakers that i bought brand new years ago and i love them but there is just one speaker that has a crackling sound coming out of it with or without music playing...I know that its not a sound card issue because it started crackling on my old build and i have changed out sound cards before...I really love these monsoons dont want to give them up but the crackling drives me nuts any ideas... :cry: 

it may be the volume switch has some dirt in it. on amps that do it it the pot on the volume knob..sometime using component cleaner may temp fix it. if it not the switch then your speaker paper may have dried out and cracked. if the speaker cables or speakers can be swapped from left to riht side do it and see if the error follows speaker or is a cable or volume issue.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:45:07 AM

Hey smorizio i swapped out the speaker cables took the left side speaker and plugged it into the right side and repeated it with the reversing the right side speaker...When i done that the crackling sound came out of the right speaker instead of the left side... :( 
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 12:43:48 PM

all i can say is try a pair of head phones in the jack to see if it the port. also take a look inside your pc make sure the cd and front pannel audio cables are not near the fans or anything that make cross talk.
m
l
April 14, 2012 6:54:41 AM

I should have said this before now that i do not hear it when i have on head phones... :??: 
m
l
April 14, 2012 12:37:43 PM

colragland said:
I should have said this before now that i do not hear it when i have on head phones... :??: 

That, along with the fact that changing the speakers around kept the crackling sound in the same speaker (not channel) it was in normally almost certainly means that you have a bad speaker, unfortunately.
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:45:51 AM

No i didnt change the speakers around just swapped the plugs around i plugged the right speaker into the the left side and and the left speaker into the right side and the sound came out the right speaker instead of the left one and its not the same speaker... :) 
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:31:27 AM

colragland said:
No i didnt change the speakers around just swapped the plugs around i plugged the right speaker into the the left side and and the left speaker into the right side and the sound came out the right speaker instead of the left one and its not the same speaker... :) 

Ah, I got ya. The way it was worded kinda confused me, I guess, lol. Were the headphones plugged into the computer output, or the Monsoon system? If it was the Monsoon system, it surprises me that it didn't happen with the headphones too because it should have, if the volume knob is the problem.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:38:11 AM

There is no crackling noise what so ever in my headphones when plugged into my Monsoon output or the one on the front panel of the computer...I hear music etc. just fine plugged into either output... :??: 
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:46:10 AM

Hmm, in that case, I would say that that would rule out the volume knob as the problem then, since like I said, it should affect the headphone output too. I'm out of ideas right now, unfortunately.
m
l

Best solution

April 15, 2012 10:27:47 AM

It sounds like your amp is starting to fail. A crackling sound is a typical precursor to amp failure.
April 16, 2012 11:22:49 PM

I didnt want to hear that...Maybe i can get it repaired... :cry: 
m
l
April 17, 2012 3:51:44 AM

colragland said:
I didnt want to hear that...Maybe i can get it repaired... :cry: 

I have 3 of these:Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System.
I've had to have the amp repaired on two of them. Before they blew they both started making crackling sounds.

The bad news is you just cant find any good quality 5.1 PC speakers any more so, if you do have some (and you do) it's worth getting them repaired.

The good news here is repair is possible, you just have to find someone willing to do it at a reasonable price.

A guy on eBay that goes by the name "stpeteshepherd" fixed mine. he specializes in Klipsch but maybe he would be willing to fix yours. I don't know.

Here is his eBay store : http://myworld.ebay.com/stpeteshepherd/?_trksid=p4340.l...

Maybe he can help.

m
l
April 17, 2012 6:57:19 AM

Thanks for the info Idonno...I wished Monsoon was still in business today...I think they would still be in business today if it wasn't for GM...I think they sound great...Anyways i have a local TV repair man he was real good on my widescreen tv he was easy on the price...If he cant then i will try the guy on ebay... :hello: 
m
l
April 17, 2012 2:42:00 PM

colragland said:
Thanks for the info Idonno...I wished Monsoon was still in business today...I think they would still be in business today if it wasn't for GM...I think they sound great...Anyways i have a local TV repair man he was real good on my widescreen tv he was easy on the price...If he cant then i will try the guy on ebay... :hello: 

Good luck, colragland I hope it all works out for you.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:36:05 AM

Best answer selected by colragland.
m
l
!