New to building rigs, please help.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
So I have a 3~ year old HP computer that I bought from Best Buy.... HP Pavilion a6720y Desktop PC

About a year ago I decided to upgrade it because it had an in build graphics chip and I wanted to play new games on it.
Blah Blah Blah I did and now I have new Power Supply and a new GPU on it.
Everything else is the same.

My current computer is:

GPU - GeForce GTX 550 ti
PSU - 550w
Ram - 4gb
Motherboard and Cpu are the same what I used to have when I bought it. 2.2 ghz quad core amd.

And my current problem is that due to my old motherboard that i have right now I can't upgrade the CPU to a better one because only supports a few ones for 2+ am
my current motherboard - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3856272#N94

So I was wondering if you guys could help me find out if the new one I want will run with the old rig that I have.
This is the one I want: a bundle - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M5A78L-M-FX-4100-Quad-Core-Bundle/dp/B0063R7D90/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325465851&sr=1-21

I'm open to any further questions or suggestions. Really hope this project can work out for me.
Thanks for reading.

Still using your original windows installation, or have you already upgraded to windows 7? If your still using an hp windows xp install, you'll need a new windows coa number to change to an asus board, due to a small bios file that identifies your board as geniune hp. The new board will work fine, but you may have to borrow an am3 cpu to upgrade the bios before it will post with the 4100; this is a common problem. Your board is an older design, so it may not have the latest bios. You can't update the bios with your old am2 cpu. I use a sempron 140, which you can find for around $25 as oem or used. Check craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
About my windows yes I have a new windows 7 on the computer.

But about CPU the link i showed is a bundle which includes a motherboard and a CPU which is AM3.

So why would I need to change anything?

The 4100 processor may have been released after the board was manufactured, so the bios file may not allow the board to post with this newer cpu. A newer file is probably required. As I said earlier, this is a common issue, so a head's up so you're not surprised or think there's a problem with the motherboard. You can either ship the board to asus, or pay the vender to flash the bios before shipping (this service may not be available), or purchase or borrow the low end am3 cpu to flash it yourself.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
oh, what If I buy a different CPU or motherboard...

Because I'd rather be able to just swich it put it in and get it working without playing with bios and stuff in the actual system.
Is that kind of thing possible?
btw thank you helping : D

There is another issue: ram.
Your original motherboard takes DDR2 ram, while the package you linked to takes DDR3 ram.
Fortunately DDR2 ram is cheaper, and will set you back <$20 for 4gb of DDR3, <$40 for a 2 x 4gb kit.
The good news is that more expensive DDR2 ram has some resale value on e-bay.

At $180 for a cpu and motherboard, the price seems reasonable.
But, for gaming, the FX-4100 is a bit of a disappointment.
Read this:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/processors/amd-fx-4100-black-edition-1044553/review?artc_pg=3

As an alternative, for the same price, look at a $125 Intel 2100 and a $50 H61 based motherboard.
The 2100 is a surprisingly capable gamer, read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859-8.html

In terms of ease of installation, it is possibly easier than you might think with windows 7.
My son recently had a failed i7-920 pc with windows 7 and lots of installed software. I built him a new pc with a 2100 and a H61 motherboard. I was prepared to do a clean install, but decided to try booting with his old "C" drive. Lo and behold, it booted and ran! All I had to do was to install the chipset drivers that came with the H61 cd.

No guarantees though.

I would not recommend a ddr2 based motherboard today. Not when you can replace 4gb with DDR3 for $20. Any motherboard using DDR2 will be designed for an obsolete cpu.

As to easy install, you can use windows easy transfer to unload your settings and files. After a clean install, you can just import them back. Apps will have to be reinstalled.
I see no certain easy way to guarantee an easy transition.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

Sorry, like I said I'm new to this. If i do buy motherboard these will be my steps:
- take out old one
- put new in
- make sure everything in the place it's suppose to be
- turn it on
now what happens? will it boot up as normal or will it ask me something else?

You have about a 50-50 chance of being able to save your old files. I've switched back and forth from nvidia chipset to amd chipset boards a couple of times. Windows had a few drivers that required the motherboard cd, especially the lan port driver. And instead of the 4100 you can go with the 1055t (six cores) or 960t zosma (4 cores plus a possible 2 more unlocking) and save a possible no post situation with the 4100.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

I really don't care about my old files, all I care for is if I do this thing my windows will boot up and won;t give me some other stuff : )
That's what I worry for.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

The machine will attempt to boot windows from your hard drive, but if you change motherboards you HAVE to reinstall windows as well. Otherwise you will get more errors than you can imagine. I've heard of people going through windows and fixing those errors without reinstalling, but I wouldn't know where to begin to explain how. Best of luck

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

and to re install it I need to buy a new windows correct?

Not necessarily. Do you now have a windows dvd? If so, is it oem, retail, or upgrade?

Without a dvd, or the ability to borrow one, you are stuck with a new purchase.
If the dvd is retail or upgrade, you can reinstall without needing anything else.
If it is oem, you are only permitted to reinstall to replace a failed motherboard.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Yea I don't have one, so I guess I will have to buy one. Is it easy to install windows?
Do I just just replace motherboard boot it up and start installing windows?

Yes.

Replace the motherboard, set the bios to boot from the dvd first, and install windows. When prompted, ok the overwriting of the previous copy of windows.
Since you had a previous copy of windows, you are entitled to use an upgrade package. Upgrade is considered as retail, giving you ms support for 90 days, and the ability to transfer the license in the future. It costs about the same as oem. You get both 32 bit and 64 bit dvd's. If you have a second pc that needs upgrading, there is a family pack deal with three licenses for about $135.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Got it. Thank you for all the answers.

Although I hoped I can just take motherboard out put new in and continue on playing lol. Too bad, thanks again will have to buy a new windows :D

You have discovered one of the problems with pre-built pc's. ....The difficulty of changing anything.
One advantage of having a windows dvd is that you can do recovery easier.

While you are at it, set the sata mode to AHCI, not ide or raid.
That prepares you for a ssd in the future, as well as giving you some other benefits such as smart statistics recording and hot swap.
It is difficult to change that particular setting later.

---good luck----