How do i know if my motherboard can take a gtx 560

Patrick W

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I just bought and installed a gtx 560 and tried to hook it up and my hard drive kept spinning down then starting up and spinning down making a nasty click, ,... eventually it made it to my desktop but took 15 minutes.

after removing graphics card and putting the old 8800gt back in everything seems to be normal again?

can some one tell me what is stopping my from running this card?

I have a 800watt bfg PSU installed as well.

other data i could find

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M3800
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2015MB used, 14560MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

any help would be si much appreciated! :)

Pat

Proper method of installing new GFX card:

1. Download latest GFX card driver for new card
2. Uninstall video driver, reboot
3. Shut down machine
4. Install new card, boot
5. Just say no if windows wants to install something
6. Install downloaded driver from step 1

If it don't work, redo as above except in step 2 after reboot, run a registery editor and remove all things nVidia

Patrick W

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Ty Jacknaylorpe, trying that right now.. this has been a 4 day night mare so far, bought 2 new PSU units and two hard drives thinking I fried them both....

will report back after doing your procedure.

Pat

Patrick W

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Still persist, I did all that you suggested, and the same problem occurs, it feels like the hard drive doesn't get enough power when the new 560 is connected?, ALSO the CPU fan when the new 560 is installed goes crazy loud!, like a jet engine..max speed i guess and in bursts, like it goes from full power to off, ...but when the old gt8800 is put back in, the hard drive works normally and doesn't quit and the CPU fan also resumes a quiet hum and regulates its speed more smoothly, I had the MOBO and RAM tested at futureshop today and they "said" it all checked out as fine. they told me it was my hard drive dieing that was the problem..but now even with a brand new HD it still does the same conking out when it has to do any kind of work??, almost like its getting power starved?

I am at this point desperate for some more advice? I know all this swapping and power failing has loaded my HD, both new and old with bad clusters. I am ready to throw in the towel, but I cant sleep not knowing why this isn't working :)

Patrick W

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I did, it was in the machine when i dropped it off for their over night diagnostics. they said it "appeared to be fine" but then I was getting the feeling that they were so convinced the problem was with the HD that they probably didnt test the card, and just thought since they were getting a video signal that it was good?, thats just my paranoid thoughts on the matter.

Is this maybe a BIOS problem>?