Asking for help with a new build

G

Hello. :hello:

I'm building my new PC. I need it mostly for high-end games, not just for today's games, but also for the ones will come out in the next 2-4 years. Here are the components I cannot decide which ones to chose:

1. Intel Core i7-2600K vs. Intel Core i7-3930K ------ 2600K is older, twice cheaper, should I get the latest Intel CPU or stick with the older one? Will 2600K be good in 1-2 years still?

2. Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX SLI vs. Nvidia GeForce 590 GTX SLI ------- I like Nvidia and don't want to go with ATI, so I have a choice from thses two cards. Which will be good for future gaming in SLI?

3. 16 GB Memory Kingston 1333MHz vs. 16 GB G.SKILL 2133MHz --------- Does the frequency matter that much? There are almost the same price...

Thank you. :)

shattered space

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
1. Intel Core i7-2600K vs. Intel Core i7-3930K ------ 2600K is older, twice cheaper, should I get the latest Intel CPU or stick with the older one? Will 2600K be good in 1-2 years still?

2. Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX SLI vs. Nvidia GeForce 590 GTX SLI ------- I like Nvidia and don't want to go with ATI, so I have a choice from thses two cards. Which will be good for future gaming in SLI?

3. 16 GB Memory Kingston 1333MHz vs. 16 GB G.SKILL 2133MHz --------- Does the frequency matter that much? There are almost the same price...

My reply - 1. The Intel Core i7-2600K has a socket type of LGA 1155 the Intel Core i7-3930K however has a socket type of LGA 2011. So depending on what motherboard you are getting, you would want to know the socket type of the motherboard. If your not dead set on a motherboard I would go with the i7-3930K if of course you have the money to get that and the motherboard that is compatible.

2.The Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX has an overall better benchmark then the 590. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

3. Either of those memory kits are fine. However I would check to see which one is more suitable for you motherboard. Again that relays back to my reply on number 1.

Hope I helped. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

G

Thank you for your answer.
Hm, it's very strange for me why 580GTX has better performance than 590GTX, it cost almost twice more
right now on the market! Very strange... Maybe 590GTX will become better/faster after new driver updates?

Jeez, shattered's off the mark.
How much money do you have to spend on this thing? Do you need an OS, monitor, mouse or keyboard?

No way do you need the 3930K. The 2600K will easily handle all your games; the graphics card will be the bottleneck. The 3930K's good for media/productivity work, and otherwise not significantly better; certainly not $300 better.

The 590 is significantly better than the 580. I'm not sure what to make of that benchmark; perhaps it only uses one of the two chips that the 590 has. This benchmark, and all the others in the review, show the 590 coming out way on top. It's a worse value for the money, but it does perform better.

You don't need faster RAM than 1600. Don't worry about it; you won't see a difference.

A build that'd do it:
$300 2600K
$1240 2xPNY XLR8. One's just liquid cooled, and the other is a liquid cooler for both the card and the CPU ( ).
$85ish 16gb 1600mhz RAM. This could be almost any brand.
$100 Windows 7 Home
$125 Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD
$20 any ODD, or a ~$60 Blu-Ray drive if you're interested in that.
$200 MSI Z68A-GD80
Whatever case catches your eye on Newegg. Most over $60, and many under, will perform perfectly well. Choose by style. Some popular ones are the Thermaltake Level 10 GT, the Corsair 500R, the Antec 1200, the Thermaltake Raven and the Cooler Master HAF series. I've picked ones that can take big radiators. See the Tom's build that used these 580s for details.

G

Oh, thanks. Yeah I think I got a bit carried away with buying a new PC. The reason I might want 3930k is for future gaming, its not just for bf3 or skyrim, I want my main parts last longer until I have to upgrade it, 3930k is the newest one...

G

What about 2700k vs 2600k? So far I found just 100mhz speed difference between those two...