MSI 560 Ti fans do not spin?

AUTOMATIC

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Yesterday, my MSI 560 Ti video card was frequently overheating and resetting (I played Starcraft 2 and it did so every minute), and today fans embedded into video card stopped spinning completely. I have this MSI Afterburner program running, and it shows: Fan Speed: 57%, tchometer: 0; they are not moving physically either. Idle temp goes up to 80C. Start any game - and it starts dying. The card actually started resetting before fanbs stopped working -- I chacked yesterday. Do you think it's faulty video card (it was working perfectly for 6 months) or PSU, or even mainboard? Are there any tests?

AUTOMATIC

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
It's Thermaltake 750W. Motherboard is P5Q-PRO.

I had overheating issues with the card I had before - GTX 290; replaced with 560 Ti and issues were gone, for 6 months, until now. But the GTX 290, I gave it to my brother, and he's using it without any problems apparently.

It's the GPU, you have a burn out because of overheating. RMA the card and avoid using anything to control the GPU fans other than the systems programs, if, you are not to familiar with them, a faulty sensor could trip the fan and you could end up with a dead card if you had a software controlled fans speed adjuster.

AUTOMATIC

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Fans themselves were faulty. I replaced them with new ones I bought today and it's back to 25C idle and 60C with 100% usage.

Well, good for you, but it is not something we'd advise on, especially since the card might be in it's warranty period. For all you know, due to the extreme temps the card must have touched when the fans were off, something could have easily got fried.
It would be safer to run stress tests and confirm that the cards fine, and , if not, RMA it.

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

I'm stuck with having to replace my fans too as mine are extremely off balance and very loud. What model fans did you use to replace?

MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti