RAID & SCSI

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to envision how SCSI HHD's arranged in RAID-0 would look. For instance, on the Abit KT7A, how would the connection go? Would you plug the HHD's into the onboard RAID controller, and install a SCSI board?

Or similary, on the KT7MasterS, would you plug the HHD's into the onboard SCSI and simply add a RAID controller?

Or, would you (as i suspect) not be able to use on board connections, and would have to use a RAID card and a SCSI card. And if so, how would the connections work?

I ask because I have little experience with SCSI drives and RAID but am thinking about incorporating both into a system, and I'm mentally mapping out my next computer build. Thanks for any info you can share.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think your confusing IDE-RAID with SCSI-RAID. They are completely incompatible. You can not just plug an IDE drive into a SCSI connector or vice versa. The Abit KT7A-RAID only has onboard IDE-RAID, you can not use SCSI drives on it unless you buy a PCI SCSI controller. The MSI K7 Master-S has onboard IDE and an onboard SCSI controller, so you could use IDE and/or SCSI, but they plug into different connectors on the motherboard not the same ones. If you want an IDE and SCSI system the MSI K7 Master-S is a good choice.

Your question was a little confusing, but I hope I answered it. Let me know if I misunderstood you.

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's what I'm trying to get at. If you wanted to arrange SCSI HDD's in RAID, how would the connections go? I apologize if this is an incredible ignorant question. For instance, on the KT7A-RAID board, there are seperate IDE and RAID connection slots, if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuuming then that you would have to have a special RAID connection somewhere if you wanted to hook up the SCSI HDD"S in RAID, instead of just plugging them into a regular SCSI connection.

I know SCSI connections are different than IDE. I just don't understand how you would configure SCSI drives for RAID. Do they plug into the SCSI card? The RAID conroller (are there connections at all on a RAID controller)? Into a special kind of 3rd connection? Just wondering how that would work. Thanks for any info.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let me try to clear things up a bit. RAID and SCSI are two different things completely. RAID is a way to setup harddisks, regardless if they are SCSI or IDE so that you can stripe them, mirror them, or both. The most common RAID setups are RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 5, but there are others. RAID on the KT7A-RAID board is IDE-RAID, so you can hook up to 4 IDE drives and configure them into maximum, 2 RAID arrays, cause you need at least 2 drives to make an array. If you want SCSI RAID, you have to buy a SCSI RAID card, expensive, but the advantages are far greater than what you can get with IDE RAID.
Hope this helps.