Videocard blow up screen

smeagol1993

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
about one week ago, a friend asked to look at his pc. so i went to him and he tells me that he thought, his videocard blew up his monitor. and when i tested it the screens were black. and when i tested them on another pc they didn't work either. when i placed another videocard into the pc they didnt work either, but another monitor did. i tested the all the wires, and they gave the correct volts. but i abviously was scared to blow up another monitor so i dednt hook another monitor up. so when i replaced the videocard en the screen everything worked right. so all put together: how can a videocard blow up two screens?

Hello... I love a good mystery... well... How about if the monitors are defaulting to Analog or Digital... exactly opposite of the default of the video cards? or windows software? Might explain it.

See if there a way to do a power up reset of the monitors in question.

Digital and Analog siginals go thru different pins in the cable.

Another thing to try is different cables and ports on monitors/video cards... maybe the primary and seconday are switched in the windows software... or a different resolution than the monitors can display?

Sometimes further questioning of the person nearest the crime scene... will reveal further information in your investigation... Like "what buttons and setting were you playin with... when this all happen?" or "did you plug and un-plug cables while the power was on?"

His video card didn't blow up the monitors unless he tried to overide the default and OC his refresh rates.
It must have been a power surge since most probably his monitors aren't connected through the UPS but directly to the wall outlet, and his rig is on the UPS.

smeagol1993

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
thanks for the answers. the monitors and the pc were on the same wall outlet.
i have tested them both digitally and analog. and i tested them on my laptop too.
i have connected them when the power was off and then put everything on.

the third monitor i connected was connected to the same wall outlet. sry for the bad English, im from the Netherlands