My PC shuts down when the graphics card is under load

NoG00dNames1eft

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
My computer shuts itself down when its under load and I dont know why I suspected it was the power supply because i've heard of the brand Apower being a bit unreliable and i cant really upgrade at the momento.

PC specs
AMD Phenom ii X4 955 running at 3.2 ghz (i did have it overclocked to 4.0 but reset bios reverted it)
Gigabyte AM3 motherboard (i dont know what model because i got it second hand)
4 sticks of 2 gig kingston ram
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (the overclocked one from asus)
Apower 860 watt PSU
3 320 gig 7200rpm hard drives
and 2 DVD-R DL drives
and 8 fans in a server tower case (never had an overheading problem

i thought it was the power supply not supplying enough watts to the system so i set up a dual power supply system with another brandless 550watt PSU, the brandless PSU is running the DVD drives, the hard drives and all the fans. (i wired it up so the PSU turn on at the same time green to green wire black to black yadda yadda yadda)
While the 860 watt PSU is running the CPU, MOBO and the GFX card but it didnt improve anything. I still have the idea its the Apower PSU shutting down my PC. The PC doesen't actually shut down it just resets nothing in the PC turns off all the fans stay on and the PC just reboots. when i got the video card i went to the local PC store and baught an Apower 640 watt PSU that worked like a charm for a good 2 hours, while i was playing portal 2 on max settings getting max FPS The PSU blew up and smoked up. (im starting to think the blow out might of damaged parts of my computer) i took the PSU back to the PC store and they gave me the 840 watt, which never worked while the video card was under load, it works when the pc is idling and watching movies and surfing the internet and it boots up just fine. I took the pc to the PC store once again complaining that it didnt work, i left it there for a couple of days. i came back and they said all parts are in working order and they gave me a 100 dollar bill for the services but it still shits itself when the graphics is under load. i rang the computer store and demanded they give me a decent corsair or thermaltake but then they said they use Apower in their gaming rigs, i told them thats a load of bullshit and the had fucked with me too many times they said bring the PC in again and they will test the power supply, i asked you should of tested it the last time i gave my PC to them, i again demanded a decent power supply for my troubles but they refused, i told the to get fucked, they know nothing about computers and theyr'e ******* usless people running a shop theyr'e not qualified to run. they decided to check my computer again for free, so i took it back there and when i tried to get it back they tried to charge me $100 when the guy clearly stated it was free. i grabbed my PC off the desk then ran to the car then drove off without paying. i cant go back there and im still stuck with a semi working gaming pc that doesen't game. im only 15 years old and i built this pc with my bare hands and because of where i live there is no work so i cant earn money to buy a new power supply. im at the end of my patience with this pc im almost prepared to sell the parts and buy an xbox for myself. all i want to do is play a god damn game. can someone please help, if the problem is something other than the power supply please tell me. thanks to everyone in advance :kaola:

Solution
Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is the PSU. According to specs I found on Amazon, your PSU has two 22 amp rails. That is about right for a good 600 watt power supply. For an 850, that is pitiful. A good 850 should be able to produce 70 amps.

The only way to tell for sure is to borrow a good 550 - 600 watt PSU for testing purposes.
Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is the PSU. According to specs I found on Amazon, your PSU has two 22 amp rails. That is about right for a good 600 watt power supply. For an 850, that is pitiful. A good 850 should be able to produce 70 amps.

The only way to tell for sure is to borrow a good 550 - 600 watt PSU for testing purposes.

Solution

NoG00dNames1eft

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I hope your right because i loaned $150 off my dad to buy a Decent 850watt PSU ( i know its overkill but im thinking i might get SLI gtx 560s goin later on when i come into money next)