So I just ordered my first computer..

vr6andrew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I just ordered my first computer and I will be assembling it in a couple of days. It is my first build ever and while I've become pretty tech savvy, I've never had the opportunity to build a computer until now. I have a few questions for the assembly process.

For starters this is what I purchased:

Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
i5-2500k Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
650W PSU
500GB 7200 RPM HDD
USB Wireless Adapter
DVD Burner

First off, does anyone have any tips during the physical assembly process?

Secondly, what drivers should I be downloading? Also, should I install them using a flash drive and when should I do that if so?

Finally, when should I install Windows 7?

Thanks, if these questions have been answered already it'd be a good help if you could point me in the direction of where those answers are located.

At the assembly not to break anything. Don't work with screwdrivers with magnetic heads.
You don't have to download nothing.Everything come with a cd with drivers and everything what you need.After that you can update the drivers if is need.
After you have assembled everything first you install the Windows and after that your motherboard drivers and finaly the video card drivers.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Avoid static electricity.

Don't stand / move on carpet while asssembling. Take your components out of their antistatic bags and place the items on the bags, not on the work surface. Use an antistatic wrist strap, even a homemade one will help. Have all your tools handy, don't make repeated trips to get something which could result in a static charge buildup in your body that would discharge into some valuable component.

Also, plan beforehand how you wish to partition your hard drive. Easier to plan it now than to have to rearrange after you started filling up the hard drive.

Follow the motherboard instructions exactly on where to mount your motherboard stand-offs in the case. Wait on the final screw tightening to those standoffs until after the first card is inserted in the motherboard in case minor motherboard adjustment is needed to line the card up to the case slot. Remember to tighten all those screws though before powering up for the first time

Some even delay installing the video card until after testing the system with the onboard video. This is a good idea because video cards are then put in after the memory sticks allowing the maximum room to manipulate the locking tabs on those memory sticks

Don't force anything into place. Patience.

Have internet access handy in case you need to look something up during assembly.

I've found that Windows 7 is the first thing installed, then your motherboard drivers.

buu11235

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Build in a room with good lighting. Or have a portable desk lamp to create good lighting.

Alternative to static wrist band
-Touch the metal part of the case
-plug in PSU (don't turn it on) and touch the casing of that.

+1 to holding off on installing the GPU til later on. They can cover up spots on the MoBo making it difficult to attach wires.

Really? I just built mine with one and I haven't had any problems. I thought magnets were only a problem for HDDs?

I ONLY use screwdrivers with magnetic head, not sure why you would suggest he not use one....it sure helps installing mobo screws without dropping them.

You don't have to download nothing.

Not only is that incorrect English, but it's completely wrong. I never use a cd that comes with my parts, I ALWAYS download the latest from the web. The CD is for people without web access.

Here's the scary part

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
If you got a I5 2500K get an aftermarket HSF. CM Hyper 212+ or Evo, cheap.
Install the backplate on the MB first. Watch a YOUTUBE video because the included instructions suck.
Install CPU, HSF, memory. Install MB in case, making sure to use the standoffs.
Install PSU and connect cables including case front panel cables. DO NOT INSTALL CORD ON PSU yet.
Install HDD and DVD. Connect cables.
Didn't drop any screws or anything in the case, did you?
Install GPU and connect both cables.
Plug in, turn power switch on and hold DEL key to get into BIOS. Set boot from CD for now. Install MB drivers except for that damned ZYNGA...
Install Windows. Update.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Real real important... do not hook up the new pc to download any drivers until you have antivirus installed. And be ready to stop everything and let windows do its updates the first time you connect to the web. Thats why I do use the supplied discs or alternatively have the updated drivers ready on CD or USB stick to avoid exposing a 'virgin' unit to the web before all security is in place.

Magnetic screwdrivers are ok to use after all until you start installing software. There is nothing to erase from the HDD until then and I agree with others the field strenth is too low to worry about.

When opening packages of small parts empty the package into saucers or shallow bowls. Avoids thing rolling away on you.

Do make sure to have fine needle nosed pliers and a pair or tweezers or even something sticky on the end of a stick. Great for picking up dropped screws and placing jumpers. And do not let any dropped screw go unretrieved. Thats just asking for a short circuit later on.

The part about not hooking to the web until you have anti-virus installed is true with XP, but I've never had a problem with Vista or 7.

I always install windows, install mobo drivers, then install windows updates. After all updates I install MS Security Essentials and video card drivers.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

.................oh no.....apparently i always have to try to place the screw into tiny holes using my sasuage fingers first.....LoL... :pt1cable: