Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Chipsets
  • Heatsinks
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2013 4:27:50 PM

I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP motherboard and I noticed that one of the chipset heatsinks (the long one with mos_hs stamped beside it) rocks back and forth when moved with my finger. Wondering if this is normal. I could easily replace the flimsy plastic fasteners with nuts and bolts (using soft, non-conductive washers of course).

More about : z68ap loose chipset heatsink

a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 4:36:46 PM

yes that's normal. they are ment to aid heat dissipation from the voltage regulators located arount the socket. don't move them or try to remove them to apply new thermal paste as they can be easily broken
m
l
February 20, 2013 10:07:39 PM

When they are moved surely that must disturb the thermal paste underneath. They need more mounting points.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 1210 V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 11:38:30 PM

I agree with the OP. It sounds like the heat sync isn't making good contact with the VRs any more.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 11:54:05 PM

i have that board. mine does the same thing. i wouldnt worry about it.
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:55:56 AM

Anybody know if there's supposed to be a thermal pad or paste under it? A pad won't change much but paste....that's a very different story. I just can't see under mine.

I tried compressing the plastic mounts on the bottom so I could slip it out and scratched the board with needlenose plyers. Bloody plastic. Should be banned from quality workmanship. Saved them a thousanth of a penny I guess.
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:01:15 AM

Well I pulled the plastic pins out by force and there is a thermal pad under the heatsink so that was good. It covers 11 chips on the mb about 1/4" square each. There are 7 more on the other side of the CPU but they have no heatsink. I'll monitor them to see how hot they get when I attempt to fire this thing up.
m
l
a c 1210 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 1:09:20 AM

By force? You're suppose to squeeze the fingers on the backside of the MB as you pull the pins out.
...anyway, did you see anything that was causing the H/S to rock on the VRs?
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 1:12:59 AM

if you want to reapply thermal paste, id suggest a thermal adesive. permanent but works
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:48:13 PM

> You're suppose to squeeze the fingers on the backside of the MB as you pull the pins out.

Oh I tried that multiple times. Due to the quality of the materials it refused to "let go". The reason it was rocking was that its anchored at both ends and its narrow. And it uses springs to hold it down. Not sure why they do that. Maybe in case somebody hits it the heatsink returns to the correct position.

> if you want to reapply thermal paste, id suggest a thermal adesive. permanent but works

I've never heard of that, just thermal pads and thermal paste. Is there a brand name you'd recommend?
m
l
February 21, 2013 10:40:56 PM

Isn't that thermal paste?
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 10:49:35 PM

yes but its also an adhesive. its like super glue that conducts heat
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:36:25 AM

Is it the best for transfer of heat? What do people now use when overclocking air cooled CPU's?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:43:42 AM

you wouldnt use the adhesive for a cpu.
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 11:29:52 AM

the stuff i posted is for heatsinks not for CPUs. this stuff is permanent.

for CPus they use regular thermal paste
m
l
February 22, 2013 12:20:32 PM

Ah....thank you for that clarification!
m
l