GA-Z68AP: loose chipset heatsink

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP motherboard and I noticed that one of the chipset heatsinks (the long one with mos_hs stamped beside it) rocks back and forth when moved with my finger. Wondering if this is normal. I could easily replace the flimsy plastic fasteners with nuts and bolts (using soft, non-conductive washers of course).

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Anybody know if there's supposed to be a thermal pad or paste under it? A pad won't change much but paste....that's a very different story. I just can't see under mine.

I tried compressing the plastic mounts on the bottom so I could slip it out and scratched the board with needlenose plyers. Bloody plastic. Should be banned from quality workmanship. Saved them a thousanth of a penny I guess.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well I pulled the plastic pins out by force and there is a thermal pad under the heatsink so that was good. It covers 11 chips on the mb about 1/4" square each. There are 7 more on the other side of the CPU but they have no heatsink. I'll monitor them to see how hot they get when I attempt to fire this thing up.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
> You're suppose to squeeze the fingers on the backside of the MB as you pull the pins out.

Oh I tried that multiple times. Due to the quality of the materials it refused to "let go". The reason it was rocking was that its anchored at both ends and its narrow. And it uses springs to hold it down. Not sure why they do that. Maybe in case somebody hits it the heatsink returns to the correct position.

> if you want to reapply thermal paste, id suggest a thermal adesive. permanent but works

I've never heard of that, just thermal pads and thermal paste. Is there a brand name you'd recommend?