Sign in with
Your question

Why does my monitor smell?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 22, 2001 10:18:52 AM

I have a proviewer "17" and it works fine, but it smells like plastic that is burned. Any ideas????

More about : monitor smell

February 22, 2001 8:43:15 PM

how old is it?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 22, 2001 9:57:10 PM

It's about 1month and 15days...
Related resources
February 23, 2001 12:26:12 AM

that's just the NEW smell burning of , not to worry
jaxon
should stop in 2-4 months , depending on usage
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2001 2:17:52 AM

Some manafacturers actually warn people that there monitors will smell like this at first so it isnt unusual.Of course without being there I cant know for sure. I have seen a monitor nuke before.Smoke coming out of the vents is a pretty good indication somethings wrong lol.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2001 7:05:40 AM

My first real computer experience involved a monitor going up in smoke. Just sitting there, all of a sudden it started smelling really bad, then it really started smoking with a little flame to make the plastic bubbly on top in the time it took to unplug it after the disbelief wore off. It was a real shame as it was an expensive 15" color (wow) monitor!

--doing my best to be helpful :) 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2001 8:43:59 AM

Ok reading the advice I realize that there isn't a problem with the monitors' smell. No smoke thank god:) 
February 27, 2001 5:00:51 AM

Hey, I plugged in a monitor once and had SPARKS and FIRE blow out from underneath it! Shipping damage caused a short!

Suicide is painless...........
February 27, 2001 12:18:59 PM

go to love that new monitor smell

Companies that = cancer
ati creative lexmark micro$oft mitsumi rambu$ via
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2001 6:47:11 PM

You havent lived until you have seen a full cup of coffee, fall off a shelf and go into a moniter, it was spectacular, sparks and smoke and stuff everywhere, luckily it wasent my moniter, Looked like the 4th of July, very funny
February 27, 2001 8:45:48 PM

Yeh that one I had blow actually looked like someone set off a bunch of roman candles inside it!

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2001 12:59:53 AM

mine wasnt a monitor, but i turned my external superdisk to internal, and when i plugged the power cable in, put it in upside down..... Sparks and flames and smoke abound..... loud as hell and gave me a headache for a good 3 hours.
March 1, 2001 2:50:59 AM

Yeh, I had an external removable media drive that wasn't working, so I put it in another external case and the power supply went up in flames! So THAT'S why it didn't work! And I was thinking it was a bad PS to begin with.

March 1, 2001 9:36:19 PM

Well , i once had one old monitor blow my video card!
I was so pissed! The card was expensive at that time (S3 868 MPEG)!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone
March 2, 2001 3:05:01 AM

That's how I got into this business! I had one of those old monitors that had to be adjusted internally. Well, I got tired of turning it off and then on while adjusting it, so I decided to leave it on and CAREFULLY adjust it. I go the screwdriver a little TOO CLOSE to the wrong spot and WAM! When I got back up off the floor, eveything seemed fine, but a short while later my vidoe card went out, then my floppy, then the floppy interface, every week something new, and since I could't afford to get it fixed I kept buying parts and fixing it myself. It took me weeks to figure out where that screwdriver went!

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2001 10:00:54 AM

Has anyone had the privalage of smashing moniters and other stuff to pieces?
At the end of last year, i was lucky enough to get chosen by the computer teachers to take out some moniters and other stuff to the big multi-skip, not only did we chuck them in the bin, we threw them in, smashed them with heavy objects and cracked a screen then it imploded coz it was vacume packed.I also got to pry open old 25meg hardrives and pull out old socket 7 ram modules from the motherboar and we found a intel 75mHz cpu soldered to motherboard. man that was a blast :p 
!