Wanting to upgrade sound card

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Currently, I have the X-Fi Platinum, a sound card from, I think 2006 (maybe 2007). It's dated and it's been under heavy use (as I always have music playing). I few requirements, ordered by priority (1 being the most important):

1. The sound card must support Windows XP. That's the OS I currently have.
2. The sound card must support taking input from more than one source simultaneously for recording, primarily "wave" and "microphone". I can't tell from Newegg if this is supported or not.
3. The sound card must have a microphone input source. This is common as far as I know.
4. The sound card must not cost more than $120 (I could push $180 tops, but I'll have to wait until the end of May for that).
5. The sound card must support 96 KHz sample rates or higher. This is very common.

Other things, like surround sound, 7.1 channels, gaming-specific stuff, theatre-related stuff, focus on headphones, added functionality for iPods (I don't have one), etc. I don't care for - they can be present, but I have little or no use for them. 2-channel audio is all I've ever worked with at the most so the number supported channels doesn't matter.

Basically, I've been, for years, wondering how to take input from more than one source simultaneously. I'd like to record content from my microphone, which connects to the sound card, and put it on the left channel and content from "wave" into the right channel. From streaming live game play of various video games I play by TV tuner, I've had a lot of demand for including my voice, but I have to choose between "wave" for the game's audio or "microphone" for my voice. I want the game's audio more than my voice/narration.

Any recommendations for suitable sound cards that fit my needs?

Solution

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Has that card degraded noticably? As far as technology for sound cards, there's really not much to shoot for beyond 7.1 surround. Your current card should still have all of the requirements you posted.
If not, just get the same card you have from newegg.com, since you know what the software interface is like, and you're used to using that type of card.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I have not noticed any degradation.

Virtual Audio Cable doesn't pick up my microphone. Windows XP won't let me select both "wave" and "microphone" as input sources in the volume control and without that, I can't take input from both "wave" and "microphone" at once. I was told that my sound card is incapable of taking input from more than one source at a time as even Virtual Audio Cable doesn't pick up more than one source at a time. The microphone is completely independent of the 6 other options for input and I'm only after having "wave" included, nothing else.

Newegg doesn't have my card any more - X-Fi Platinum. That vanished from there about 3 months after I got it and now it's 5 years later.

I don't care for surround sound or 7.1 channels, or any of that other stuff - I have nothing that utilizes them to any extent. I only have 2 speakers and I don't see any point in getting more if 100% of what I listen to is either 1- or 2-channel audio.

The main problem you will have is that most soundcards do not have separate line input and microphone input ports anymore. I know the ASUS Xonar D2/D2X does, but its not a significant upgrade over what you already have. The top tier cards typically offer both, but cost in excess of what you are willing to spend.

That being said, no gaming based soundcard can handle two sound inputs at the same time. Professional soundcards *might*, so you might want to look at M-Audio and check what they have to offer.

Solution