Roaming australia

Last response: in Technologies
July 3, 2004 5:02:02 PM

Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
and the Pacific region please?
My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
using a mobile.
Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
that operate in all these regions?

Any help gratefully received

Dave

More about : roaming australia

July 4, 2004 5:13:25 AM

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:02:02 +0100, "David Bromell"
<dave_bromell@lineone.net> wrote:

>Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
>and the Pacific region please?
>My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
>New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
>using a mobile.
>Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
>that operate in all these regions?

Vodafone is the GSM operator in NZ. In Australia you have Optus,
Telstra, Vodafone and Hutchison/Wampoa. Thailand and Singapore check
gsmworld.com.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
July 4, 2004 12:35:32 PM

Try www.gsmworld.com and click on the countries you would like further info
on

"David Bromell" <dave_bromell@lineone.net> wrote in message
> Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
> and the Pacific region please?
> My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
> New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
> using a mobile.
> Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
> that operate in all these regions?
>
> Any help gratefully received
>
> Dave

July 4, 2004 12:35:33 PM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:35:32 +1000, "Joel" <joelNO.SPAM@flymail.fm>
wrote:

>Try www.gsmworld.com and click on the countries you would like further info
>on
>

>"David Bromell" <dave_bromell@lineone.net> wrote in message
>> Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
>> and the Pacific region please?
>> My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
>> New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
>> using a mobile.
>> Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
>> that operate in all these regions?
>>
>> Any help gratefully received
>>
>> Dave

Coverage in Australia is prety good as long as you don't get too far
off the beaten path. Three are several brands, but on 3 network
operators (There is a 4th, but Hutchison doesn't seem to be on the
'air' yet), Telstra mobilenet, Singtel Optus and Vodaphone Australia.

Any town with a population over about 5000 is likely to have GSM
service, and any place with lots of tourists (like Ayers Rock and
Broome) will also have service. In general the broadest coverage is
Telstra, with Optus and Vodaphone in just about a dead heat. Network
quality however tends to be the lowest on Telstra.

Places that are the real outback, like Tennant Creek, or Winton,
generally have no GSM service at all. The only mobile service in those
places in by Sat Phone!

Just about every shop that sells mobile phones in Australia has
coverage maps of the networks, so when in doubt, just pick up a
coverage map, and since many shops 2 of the 3 networks, two visits
should get you coverage maps from all 3 providers.

New Zealand is much spottier, there is only 1 GSM operator, I think it
is Vodaphone NZ these days (it used to be Bell South), and coverage is
much more limited. It is pretty easy to get off the coverage map in
NZ. (NZ telecom is a D-AMPS/CDMA operator)
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 12:10:40 AM

In article <8foee0lki2h2aenbath6sjb790qeno56aj@4ax.com>,
matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

> Coverage in Australia is prety good as long as you don't get too far
> off the beaten path. Three are several brands, but on 3 network
> operators (There is a 4th, but Hutchison doesn't seem to be on the
> 'air' yet), Telstra mobilenet, Singtel Optus and Vodaphone Australia.

Hutchison have been on air for quite some time. The network is branded
as '3'. It is a 3G network which will roam onto the Vodafone 2G network.
So you can't use it if you only have a GSM phone.
!