Roaming australia

Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
and the Pacific region please?
My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
using a mobile.
Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
that operate in all these regions?

Any help gratefully received

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about roaming australia

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:02:02 +0100, "David Bromell"
    <dave_bromell@lineone.net> wrote:

    >Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
    >and the Pacific region please?
    >My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
    >New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
    >using a mobile.
    >Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
    >that operate in all these regions?

    Vodafone is the GSM operator in NZ. In Australia you have Optus,
    Telstra, Vodafone and Hutchison/Wampoa. Thailand and Singapore check
    gsmworld.com.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Try www.gsmworld.com and click on the countries you would like further info
    on

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:35:32 +1000, "Joel" <joelNO.SPAM@flymail.fm>
    wrote:

    >Try www.gsmworld.com and click on the countries you would like further info
    >on
    >

    >"David Bromell" <dave_bromell@lineone.net> wrote in message
    >> Can anybody help with advice about using GSM to communicate between the UK
    >> and the Pacific region please?
    >> My daughter is off backpacking in Singapore, Thailand Australia and maybe
    >> New Zealand. We would like if possible to keep in touch for emergencies
    >> using a mobile.
    >> Does anyone have experiences they would share about good, or bad, networks
    >> that operate in all these regions?
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received
    >>
    >> Dave

    Coverage in Australia is prety good as long as you don't get too far
    off the beaten path. Three are several brands, but on 3 network
    operators (There is a 4th, but Hutchison doesn't seem to be on the
    'air' yet), Telstra mobilenet, Singtel Optus and Vodaphone Australia.

    Any town with a population over about 5000 is likely to have GSM
    service, and any place with lots of tourists (like Ayers Rock and
    Broome) will also have service. In general the broadest coverage is
    Telstra, with Optus and Vodaphone in just about a dead heat. Network
    quality however tends to be the lowest on Telstra.

    Places that are the real outback, like Tennant Creek, or Winton,
    generally have no GSM service at all. The only mobile service in those
    places in by Sat Phone!

    Just about every shop that sells mobile phones in Australia has
    coverage maps of the networks, so when in doubt, just pick up a
    coverage map, and since many shops 2 of the 3 networks, two visits
    should get you coverage maps from all 3 providers.

    New Zealand is much spottier, there is only 1 GSM operator, I think it
    is Vodaphone NZ these days (it used to be Bell South), and coverage is
    much more limited. It is pretty easy to get off the coverage map in
    NZ. (NZ telecom is a D-AMPS/CDMA operator)

    In article <8foee0lki2h2aenbath6sjb790qeno56aj@4ax.com>,
    matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

    > Coverage in Australia is prety good as long as you don't get too far
    > off the beaten path. Three are several brands, but on 3 network
    > operators (There is a 4th, but Hutchison doesn't seem to be on the
    > 'air' yet), Telstra mobilenet, Singtel Optus and Vodaphone Australia.

    Hutchison have been on air for quite some time. The network is branded
    as '3'. It is a 3G network which will roam onto the Vodafone 2G network.
    So you can't use it if you only have a GSM phone.

GSM Mobile