I feel my system needs an upgrade to hold on until next year and I think that the best upgrade is a new cpu. Do you think that upgrading the video card is a better idea????
Should I spent extra $30 and get the phenom II X4 975 instead of the 965? If so, why? Does it have more overclocking headroom?
I will overclock but I am conservative when overclocking, I wont go over recommended 1.4v for sure.
Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately I don't have a Microcenter in Miami and newegg doesnt have the 960T. The max safe voltage as per AMD is 1.4volts. I don't know if going over 1.4 will kill my CPU too fast. I want it to last at least 1 year or 1.5 years. Also, I don't know if my motherboard can supply all the power that beast will draw at 1.45v.
Nominal voltage is 1.4v, max is generally 1.5ish on Amd chips, but you are right on the volts equals heat part :-)
And unless you have serious heat issues, a healthy overclock won't shorten the lifespan of a chip that badly,
My Mobo's a 140w job, and handled the beast clock fine :-)
Not recommending you try for a big clock, just showing you that they are capable of far more than a lot would credit them for,
And worth the extra in my book
According to http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
a 975 at 4GHz on 1.4v will pull 127w, obviously each chip is different but you should reach that easiliy and be able to hold the temps in check
It is weird that the 965 pulls more W than the 975 at same volts and frequency.
I already ordered this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
This will be my third overclock and I will squeeze it for sure. Of course I have to read a lot first, I am already working on it. I will post my results. Thanks!