Upgrading to a Phenom II x4 965

vehlor

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello
I can not build a new rig this year so I am forced to upgrade.

Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3141# ( I on't know how to post a link :( )

Athlon II x3 425 OC to 3.3

2 x 2GB DDR2 Corsair 1066

XFX HD 5770

Earth Watts 430

Res: 1680 x 1050

I feel my system needs an upgrade to hold on until next year and I think that the best upgrade is a new cpu. Do you think that upgrading the video card is a better idea????
Should I spent extra $30 and get the phenom II X4 975 instead of the 965? If so, why? Does it have more overclocking headroom?
I will overclock but I am conservative when overclocking, I wont go over recommended 1.4v for sure.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Nominal voltage is 1.4v, max is generally 1.5ish on Amd chips, but you are right on the volts equals heat part :)
And unless you have serious heat issues, a healthy overclock won't shorten the lifespan of a chip that badly,
My Mobo's a 140w job, and handled the beast clock fine :)
Not recommending you try for a big clock, just showing you that they are capable of far more than a lot would credit them for,
And worth the extra in my book
Moto

vehlor

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Unfortunately I don't have a Microcenter in Miami and newegg doesnt have the 960T. The max safe voltage as per AMD is 1.4volts. I don't know if going over 1.4 will kill my CPU too fast. I want it to last at least 1 year or 1.5 years. Also, I don't know if my motherboard can supply all the power that beast will draw at 1.45v.

Nominal voltage is 1.4v, max is generally 1.5ish on Amd chips, but you are right on the volts equals heat part :)
And unless you have serious heat issues, a healthy overclock won't shorten the lifespan of a chip that badly,
My Mobo's a 140w job, and handled the beast clock fine :)
Not recommending you try for a big clock, just showing you that they are capable of far more than a lot would credit them for,
And worth the extra in my book
Moto

Solution