I want to add ram but how much is enough and what brands?

panjok2

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
hp dv6 6161he 4gb
windows 7 64bit intel i5-2410m@2.30ghz
product number ly140ua#aba

this is the part# and other stuff that came up when I went through HP.com's website and part finder.

HP - Compaq Pavilion dv6-6161he Specifications
Manufacturer
HP - Compaq
Model
Pavilion dv6-6161he
Maximum Memory
16384MB
Standard Memory
4096MB removable
Number of Slots
2 (2 banks of 1)
Notes

Part #: QF275AA#ABA
DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 64

Here is my question :
1.) I want to add memory to my 4gb but need to know if I would see ay more benefit by adding the total amount allowed which is 16gb since I won't be adding anything else at this time. Would I see anymore benefit by adding 16gb as opposed to say 8 or 12?

2.) also are there different brands that are better? and are there standard ones and extreme ones? ones that are better for a little more money?

basically, if you had my laptop, which would you buy and why? I would like a few options to see which would be worth the money. Thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
I have this pc. My is the DV6-7000 however. Its a good pc. :)
1.) With RAM, its more of a personal choice past 8GB. How heavy of a user are you? Are you planning on gaming with mods or playing games that use large amounts of RAM? Do you web surf with 50 pages open? My opinion I would say only get 8GB to start with then if you see your maxing out your RAM while doing stuff then go to 16 GB. It will not be any faster if you go 16GB vs 8GB you wont be able to notice anything unless your usage is putting out more then the 8GB can handle.

2.) I kind of disagree with cin19. You only have 2 slots in your laptop for RAM. Getting 2 x 4GB will cost you more money then what is necessary if you ever should need more then 8GB. (I got into flight...

ilikemoneygreen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have this pc. My is the DV6-7000 however. Its a good pc. :)
1.) With RAM, its more of a personal choice past 8GB. How heavy of a user are you? Are you planning on gaming with mods or playing games that use large amounts of RAM? Do you web surf with 50 pages open? My opinion I would say only get 8GB to start with then if you see your maxing out your RAM while doing stuff then go to 16 GB. It will not be any faster if you go 16GB vs 8GB you wont be able to notice anything unless your usage is putting out more then the 8GB can handle.

2.) I kind of disagree with cin19. You only have 2 slots in your laptop for RAM. Getting 2 x 4GB will cost you more money then what is necessary if you ever should need more then 8GB. (I got into flight simulator and actually upgraded to 16GB... so it really isnt out of the norm to become a user of a lot of RAM.) Then youll have a useless extra stick of 4GB that really just costs you money. I would advise you to buy 1 x 8GB. Then if you need more buy another 8GB stick. Only buy in 8GB or you loss the potential of maxing out your system for the least amount of money.
As an example if you buy 2 x 4GB now, then need any more later then you have to buy an 8GB stick anyway. So at that moment with only 2 slots in your lappy you would have to take out a 4GB stick and put in the 8GB stick. your lappy would be 8GB + 4GB with a toal of 12 GB.... But the kicker being you actually bought 16GB you just cant use 4GB of it.

Also just as a side note, the ram currently in your system could be better. Your pc can run : DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600. If it was me id get the PC3-12800. Ive got 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233264
its actually cheaper then the 2 x 4GB. cin linked an interesting article, but im to lazy to search for kingston and crucial stuff. I already had the Vengence saved in my bookmarks. :)

Solution

panjok2

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Both answers were great but I do agree that if I do want to go for the 16gb, then I would be wasting money. That is... if the extra is needed later on. I didn't add it to the question but I do have a lot of pages open at once with a lot of stuff going on at once! I'm web A.D.D or W.A.D.D. haha Thanks guys!

Some of us are still learning and it's nice to have people answer your questions in a professional manner! So glad I found Toms Hardware!

kinda off topic but I have known about Toms for awhile now but for some reason, I have always called it Toms Hardware Shack! lol I don't know where I got the "shack" from but I always add the shack when I am thinking to myself! lol