Mid-Gaming PC Upgrade ~700€

hertock

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hey guys, I hope you can help me with upgrading my old system =)

Approximate Purchase Date: This month

Budget Range: 600-750€

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, browsing the net, .

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, HDD, graphic card (maybe?)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, www.geizhals.at ,

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, slight preference to nvidia graphic cards

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like to have a quiet pc - not like "no sound at all", but it shouldnt be annoying. Additonally, the most important part for me in buying this new PC is the price-performance ratio.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my old system:

At the moment I am using an Intel Dual Core 3.0 GHz, 2x SLI Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (here), a cheap Asus Board, 700W PSU, 4GB Corsair RAM, a large Coolermaster case and 1x 2 TB HDD + 1x 250GB HDD.

CPU: I plan to buy the Intel Core i-5 2500k

Cooler: No idea which one I should buy, I would like to overclock to atleast 4 GHz, maybe later even more. I read that CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO this one seems quite nice with that CPU - what do u think?

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 - I am only thinking about which version I should buy, since I dont know if I can/should use my old graphic cards. If yes - in my old motherboard it is a slight problem that the two graphic cards are so large that they conceal my third PCIe Port so i cant use it. This shouldnt happen with my new board!

Graphic Card(s): As I mentioned above, the thing I am struggling the most, is, if I should use my graphic cards in my new system, or whether I should buy a new one?

Memory: I want to have atleast 8 GB in my new system, even 16 GB would be an option if the pricing is okay.

PSU: No idea which one i should get

Case: It would be nice to use my existing one - the hardest problem with it is that i dont have any dust filter inbuilt which is quite annoying. But I know that it is possible to build a dust filter into a case - maybe someone could give me a link to such a dust filter.. To the cooling, in the case there are 2x 120mm in-built fans. I dont know if thats enough for the cooling thing^^ If u would say a new case would be better, please give me an option for a good case either!

Thanks in advance!

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

A few pointers:

1. Good choice of CPU

2. Cooler is fine, depending on how hard you plan to overclock you could just stick with a stock one, and move up later.

3. The P8P67 cannot SLI, can Crossfire though. You'll need a P8P67 Pro or the P8Z68-V which can.

4. On graphics cards if you're happy with the performance you don't need to upgrade, but if you do i'd say go with the 560 Ti, best price/performance around.

5. Really 8GB is all you're going to need for a while but if you want more go nuts, not like it's massively expensive these days.

6. For a PSU if you go for SLI 560 Ti's you'll want at least a 750W PSU. Maybe an Antec Truepower or XFX Pro Series would be best. I can't really speak for price/performance in Austria.

7. Would help if we knew what case, and yes you can buy dust filters e.g.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-sst-ff122b-120mm-fan-filter-with-magnet
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-043-AK&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-000-LL&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=

But io couldn't say where you'd need to go

hertock

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for your fast reply. At the moment its impossible for me to play Battlefield 3. My Framerate is pretty low (when nothing happens and i just stand around). But when actual fight starts its just totally unplayable; its just "lagging" very hard (i know, lagging is not the correct word, is it spiking?). BUT the system specs from bf 2 bad company 2 were "recommended graphic card: 1x 260 GTX. I cant really believe that u now need 2x 260 gtx to play bf 3 (even with low graphics!). So I guess it has something to do with my CPU - or that I installed and played BF 3 on a Hard Drive I had only some GBs left...

If u say 8 GB RAM are more than enough, I will buy it ;)

I searched for my case and I am pretty much sure that this is mine: Click here What do u think about this case?

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I can imagine your CPU is the thing bottlenecking your GTX 260. So why not get your upgrades and wait to buy a graphics card, Kepler and Tahiti will be out soon.

Lagging or stuttering i think are the correct terms, but lagging works just as well.

That is a fine case, so don't bother upgrading. See if you can stick in the dust filters somewhere.