GTX 580 - Question regarding SLI

aliasxneo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Greetings,

I've recently purchased a second GTX 580 and am looking to place the two cards in a SLI configuration. I figured they would have included the bridge with the card, however that seems to not be the case. This is my first time attempting an SLI configuration, so I'm not really sure what I need. Can anyone point me in the direction to where I can find a bridge and what bridge I will need for these two cards? Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

With nVidia cards the SLI bridge is included with the motherboard providing the motherboard supports SLI technology.

I'd suggest looking on Ebay for an SLI bridge if you do not have one.

SLI is as simple as installing both cards and the SLI bridge, once in Windows, windows should detect the second card and recommend enabling SLI via the nVidia control panel. Once enabled your ready to go.

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 580

On your average system the card requires you to have a 650 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 580 in SLI

A second card requires you to add another 250 Watts. You need a 900+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (1 KiloWatt recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

For each other card (3-way SLI) that you add, just add another 250 Watts and 20A on the 12V rails as a safety margin. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load?:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down