Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Time Warner Cable / Digital TV Tuner

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2011 4:15:12 PM

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find the search forums button....
I'm considering getting a digital tuner ex. http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Infinitv4-Digital-Cable-Quad-tuner/dp/B003B4VLJQ
For my pc that I will stream to my 360 via media center in hopes of removing both my DVR box and the fee that is associated with that. My concern is that there will be a fee from time Warner to utilize this thing with all its features, such as the guide and series scheduling ect. Does anyone know if time Warner requires such a monthly fee to do this or will I be able to slip it by unnoticed (obviously I’ve still gota pay for HD channels and dig cable ect)
Also that particular card is a little higher end then I want, I could get by with 2 tuners instead of 4 and don’t necessarily HAVE to have HD capability but it would be nice. The major requirement is that I want to be able to set a series to record new epps automatically. Does anyone have any card recommendations that might come in a little less expensive then the above linked one?

Best solution

November 4, 2011 5:50:18 PM

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime - External box/Three tuners. $250
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - External box/Two tuners $140

These are both external devices, but should provide you with the functionality you need. Both (as well as the Ceton card) require a cablecard from your cable company in order to view/record your cable tv subscription channels. That is the only extra fee you'll pay; in most (if not all) cases, leasing a cablecard is cheaper than leasing a set top box/DVR.

-Wolf sends
November 8, 2011 2:13:09 PM

Do you know if any/all of the above 3 support the program guide, and VOD if i attach up a tuning adaptor?
Score
Related resources
November 8, 2011 2:26:56 PM

Program guide, yes. VOD (as I understand it), no.

-Wolf sends
Score
November 8, 2011 4:39:46 PM

So after some research I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the Ceton card. Though since it will be going into my gaming rig I'm slightly worried about heat issues. has anyone actualy used one of these in a pc with a decent GPU at the same time?
Score
November 8, 2011 4:48:38 PM

I have mine tucked inside an NMediaPC 200BA HTPC case. The motherboard configuration has the PCI-Ex1 slot right next to the PCI-Ex16 slot which hosts my ATI Radeon HD4670 graphics card.

It's a tight fit and I'd recommend some space between the two if possible, but I've not run into any heating issues. I do understand this card does get hot and if you're really concerned, you may want to consider adding a PCI/PCI-E slot fan to blow air onto it.

-Wolf sends

Edit: I should note that this system is strictly an HTPC. The most intensive task it performs is Blu-Ray playback and HD Recording.
Score
November 15, 2011 12:25:52 AM

Best answer selected by bulldogc.
Score
!