I'm dumb - SDRAM :- Less Faster, or More slower???

G

Okay, I'm building a new system.
Featuring a P3-1GHz, ASUSMobo, Geforce2-Ultra.

It will be used for Gaming, visual c++ dev, and 3d graphics (3d studio max, etc).

Now, do I choose 1x 256Mb (PC133)CAS2 SDRAM,
or do I choose 2x 256Mb PC133 SDRAM.

I understand the principle behind CAS2, but what are the real world gains and will I be better off with 512Mb of regular RAM?

It's the final thing I need to choose, so any advice will be appreciated. Techies rock. :)

G

If you use lessd then 256MB of RAM the CAS will be faster, if you use more the 512MB will be faster, but all but the most crappy RAM out there should run @CAS2 weather it's maked that way or not.

I AM Canadian.

G

Ram is a sticky topic since most manufactures don't actually make the ram, another company does. Say if you bought Micron memory...its a pretty good brand, but who actually made the ram, and did they use all the parts they bought from Micron or did they add a little generic material in with it? .... If I where you I'd buy the generic 512mb, will probably be just as fast (well not on the ns access time...but close enough). The major thing when purchasing ram is ...is it gonna work.

G

I would go for more RAM.

1) I found that some games (i.e. Kingpin) do benefit enormously from going beyond 128 MB. Below 128 MB some of new monstrous games swap things forth and back esp. when you are leaving level / entering new level, save or load.

That's why my home box has 384 MB - I cannot put more without mobo / CPU upgrade.

VC++, etc - the more RAM, the better. 256 is a must.

NT_Buddy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WHICH Asus Mobo, the CUSL2 or some chitty one? They make quite a few, some good, others not, depending on the quality of the chipset. The 815E and BX chipsets are the only good ones for the PIII. All the VIA chipsets are crap. The 820 is fair but requires Rambus.

Suicide is painless...........