Cannot connect to Linksys Router 192.168.1.1 Web Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

syoung

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I cannot get into my Linksys WRT160N router web page. I'm hardwire connected to the router. My computer is using DHCP IP addressing. The router has assigned it the standard 198.169.1.100. I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1. Wireless and Wired connections through the router to the internet are OK, no trouble accessing internet sites. Linksys advisor displays the router address as 192.168.1.1, so it has not been changed from the factory default. The advisor shows my networked devices clear back to the internet and claims there are no problems. After entering 192.168.1.1 into IE, IE appears to connect and is waiting for the router to respond. After a few minutes, it times out with failure to connect message. I've tried Safe mode with internet access, I've temporarily disabled my Windows and McAfee Firewalls, and the McAfee virus scanner. All to no avail. I'm out of ideas.

If your DHCP automatically assigned IP address is 198.169.*.* it seems unlikely the router's is 192.168.1.1. Go Start then Run and type in cmd /k ipconfig /all (including the spaces) in XP or in Vista or Windows 7 use the Windows key + R to get to the open box. From the black fom that follows, note down the Default Gateway and that will be the address of the router.

colboris

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

colboris

I have looked into this site for the first time today,and i see you need help, to log into your Linksky router do not use your broswer.
go to the dos prompt and type in http:\\192.168.1.1 this worked for on my router and also a netgear i had some time ago.I shall be suprised if your login page does not appear.

colboris

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

colboris

I also forgot to tell you that if that course of action failed type the http address in the run command, other than that you must check again those ISPs. windows firewall to ensure that linsky router is in the allowed list, and that goes too for any other security software you may be using. I hope this helps.

KarasuKurai

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem as the OP describes it, tried all of the above mentioned solutions and nothing worked for me.
(Though I don't get the "failure to connect" message, instead the whol page stays blank and IE tells me it's "done". Haha.)

Funny fact though, the router usually does work fine. As for now, it seems I cannot access Internet, network or the router IP via the hardwired computer, though the netbook has no problems at all, proven by the fact that I'm sitting here and typing this. So the WLAN seems to work... I really don't understand what's going on here, especialy since the computer where nothing seems to work has no problems to receive and send E-Mails via Outlook...?! (Otherwise I's assume that the cable is broken or whatever)

What I tried so far:
1) EVERY combination of unplugging cables and resetting devices that you could possibly imagine. Didn't work, the router set up is still unaccessible.
2) Sending a ping from the computer to the router, successfully. So the connection is there.
3) Sending an E-Mail from the computer. It is able to receive and send E-Mails without problem. However, anything else that requires Internet (such as anti virus software updates & msn) do not work

I'm kinda out of ideas here, so I'd appreciate some help.
I'm just glad that strangely the WLAN still works fine, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to ask this.

Also probably worth mentioning: the internet worked fine for a long while. But yesterday I accessed the network with my notebook (the the one I'm using right now) for the first time since about at month ago, and after about one hour spent without any excessive downloading whatsoever, the internet connection was suddenly gone and since then we have this problem here.
My mom already accused my laptop of "breaking the network/internet". Personally, I assume the router is broken. What do you think?

tha_vice

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
It would seem to me that most likely the WEB management interface is turned off, this can easily be rectifed by performing a hard reset on the router by following these steps.

1. Find a small pinhole on the router, using a paperclip or tac etc... press and hold for 30 secs.
2. lights will flash etc... once they do release and unplug power.
3. with power removed let it sit for 2 min.
4. plug back in - should be good.

Again, what can happen sometimes, and I've done this to myself before is un-checking the web managmen or Allow config through webpage checkbox.

But to know for sure what address your router is using, asuming this is the only routing device on the network, you simply do an IPCONFIG and look at the Gateway address or DHCP server through an IPCONFIG /all command.

hadi1985

Honorable
May 2, 2012
i've tried every thing, and no one could help me!
when i try to reach to 192.168.1.1 it keep connecting like forever and doesnt stop! i need to get to my router to portforward some games.
the only thing i've done is that i tried the "simple portforwarding" which i dont think that would be the cauz.
plz help me out!

tha_vice

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
try what I suggested by factory resetting, if you can navigate to the web and do everything else just fine, then It really sounds to me like the web management is disabled or jacked-up.

hadi1985

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I did the resseting thing, but it didnt worked. everything is fine, just the router managemnt is messed up, and dont come up!
btw: when i press the reset button the data light which is off, gets on, and when i hold the press button it flashes every 1 sec

Pull th enetwork cable from PC,

open up command prompt and enter/run ipconfig /flushdns<return>

Clears out any bad routing data.

Do a 30-30-30 router reset ...

With power on - press and hold reset button, wait 30 seconds.
Keep reset pressed, power off, hol dreset, wait 30
Power on - press and hold reset button, wait 30 seconds.

This will force a complete system reste of the nvram and back to factory defaults.

Gary5x5

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I have a Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54G, v. 6). Had it all working, then when I tried to access the router (going between the computer and the router only using an ethernet cord, disconnecting from the Internet) so I could check the firmware version, I could not get a connection between the two (by entering the router's IP address into the Internet Explorer address space), using 192.168.1.1. No matter what I did, or how many times or different ways I reset the router (pushing the reset button), and no matter what addess I used, the router would not show up. So finally I just went to the computer's contol pane, to the Network and Internet Connections, to the Windows Firwall, and turned that off - and then it worked! I now have access to the router (i.e. on the first page, entering no user name but using the password, "admin").

ink108

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
The reasons leading to this problem

1. The computer's TCP/IP properties which used to configure the router settings are incorrect.

2. The router used in the existing network, the existing network 192.168.1.1 network segment, the same as the router's LAN network.

3. The computer used to configure the router has several network cards, TCP/IP settings of network card are incorrect.

thittmeier

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I am having the same problem when I do an IPCONFIG it says my IP Address is 70.95..240.17

I have tried all of the reset suggestions and nothing has set it back to factory defaults.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

1. you cannot be on a VPN config and access it, log off that, becasue under VPN you are using works special net config and not your local one.
2. Once off VPN if it continues power cycle the router, some time the access code gets over a sort of stack overflow thingy on some products and a power cycle fixes that for a while.
3. hard reset, you set something up you did not mean to and need to set it back to defaults.
4. Its one of those stupid routers you have to use a GD CD with, put the GD CD in the computer and set it up first that way then you can log in, freaking hate those damn things SMC/linksys/belkin, never seen it on a netgear or D link yet, but I am sure its coming. make sure you pay attention tot he setup and what you set the router login and password to be.

joeadirect

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I tried the same and nothing. It was working and now I cannot gain access via the browser. As far as trying through the ipconfig, it doesn't recognize the ip address even though under details of the router on connections thats exactly what it is.

dudesome

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I don't know if somebody still needs it... but unplug all other ethernet cables from your router when you do the reset, and keep it unplugged when you try to access your linksys.

When you don't the default gateway setting of your ISP will "overwrite" the ones your linksys would have, when properly configured.

After trying everything, I unplugged, and did an ipconfig/all where it showed that the default gateway indeed was restored to 192.168.1.1 and I could access the linksys again... Pat on the shoulder for myself ! :D

I also used one cable from the linksys to my macbook to access the router, but wireless would work as well.

Hope this helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.