Sign in with
Your question

Is a new system with i7-3930K a bad idea?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Intel i7
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 9:42:09 AM

Hi,

I am strongly considering to buy a new PC as my current one is 3½ years old (Q9450 2.6GHz, 8GB ram and GTS250). I can't really play new games on it properly, but the main reason for upgrading is the fact that I do a lot of 3D work and rendering (Maya, Photoshop, etc.), where the extra power would be sweet - but if I get a new one I would definitely also start gaming some new games on my PC again :) 

However, I am not sure what to buy. I was quite tempted to go for the new i7-3930K with 6 cores, but I am not sure if it's worth it as it gets quite expensive? Also I've been reading about problems with the X79 platform, and people not recommending to go for it right now?

The alternative is the i7-2600K, but I kinda feel that this is an "old" cpu with improvements coming soon with Ivy Bridge - however, if I wait for that I would probably end up not having a new PC before May/June or something?

I hope someone can give me some advice :) 

More about : system 3930k bad idea

January 2, 2012 10:49:56 AM

In what you working an 3930k is a great improvement. That problems about you talking can be improved by bios updates. Buy a Asus or AsRock X79 mobo,because i heard the Gigabyte have some problems with X79 boards.
January 2, 2012 11:23:32 AM

Shad0w said:
Hi,

I am strongly considering to buy a new PC as my current one is 3½ years old (Q9450 2.6GHz, 8GB ram and GTS250). I can't really play new games on it properly, but the main reason for upgrading is the fact that I do a lot of 3D work and rendering (Maya, Photoshop, etc.), where the extra power would be sweet - but if I get a new one I would definitely also start gaming some new games on my PC again :) 

However, I am not sure what to buy. I was quite tempted to go for the new i7-3930K with 6 cores, but I am not sure if it's worth it as it gets quite expensive? Also I've been reading about problems with the X79 platform, and people not recommending to go for it right now?

The alternative is the i7-2600K, but I kinda feel that this is an "old" cpu with improvements coming soon with Ivy Bridge - however, if I wait for that I would probably end up not having a new PC before May/June or something?

I hope someone can give me some advice :) 

Get that, i7-3930K with 6 cores, any graphic program will scream, its that good.

Q9450 is no match. U may cut the times roughly by 1/3. Is it worth to u???
Related resources
January 2, 2012 11:44:15 AM

Yeah I read about the problems with Gigabyte boards, but I also read that there are general problems with x79?
January 2, 2012 11:48:44 AM

I'd get ASUS mobo and if there will be any issue, it will be fixed by new BIOS version.

I would not worry about that.
January 2, 2012 11:49:14 AM

if you decide to go that route wait for the 3820. will be in the "under" $300 range unless the on line vendors get greedy.

the post about the gigabyte boards. read somewhere they will have a life time warranty.
January 2, 2012 11:51:58 AM

nikorr:
When you mention the cut of 1/3, that's compared to a 2600k? :) 

swifty_morgan:
Isn't the 3820 a quad core cpu that isn't supposed to be much faster than the 2600k?
January 2, 2012 11:53:21 AM

Shad0w said:
nikorr:
When you mention the cut of 1/3, that's compared to a 2600k? :) 

swifty_morgan:
Isn't the 3820 a quad core cpu that isn't supposed to be much faster than the 2600k?

No, in compare to your CPU : )
January 2, 2012 11:59:57 AM

Hm really? :p  I was looking at some reviews of the i7-3930k and I saw some benchmarks from 3dmax where the i7-3930k was like 25% faster at rendering than a 2600k - then I would expect the performance increase to be quite a bit bigger when compared with my q9450? :) 
January 2, 2012 12:07:35 PM

Shad0w said:
Hm really? :p  I was looking at some reviews of the i7-3930k and I saw some benchmarks from 3dmax where the i7-3930k was like 25% faster at rendering than a 2600k - then I would expect the performance increase to be quite a bit bigger when compared with my q9450? :) 

Well, I was making the avg. on all together. Video editing and photoshop will not give u that much advantage as 3D will.
Check this

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-...
January 2, 2012 12:09:03 PM

I don't know about Maya, but Photoshop rarely uses more than 6 cores (usually it uses even less, down to single-core for file operations).

Currently the only reasons to buy X79 are PCI 3.0 and quad-band memory support.

If you can wait another few months Ivy Bridge is around the corner.
January 2, 2012 12:27:39 PM

Maya will utilize it-3D rendering will basically scale up to as many cores as you want.
January 2, 2012 1:03:37 PM

swifty_morgan:
Isn't the 3820 a quad core cpu that isn't supposed to be much faster than the 2600k?[/quotemsg]

It's near the same. normally I wouldn't have suggested the new processor design because of the steep price. With the 3820 coming along I would consider it if building a new system. Motherboards will be more plentiful and drop in price and a build wouldn't be too extravagant for the money/performance. I would never pay a grand for a processor no matter what because in my mind they really aren't worth it.
January 2, 2012 5:16:22 PM

I've read only positive reports of the 3930, unfortunately, though I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know where/when it will be available?
January 2, 2012 5:30:44 PM

Ivy Bridge appears to be a yawner.....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-r...

Quote:
What About Ivy?

By the time the 3820 is available for purchase early next year, Ivy Bridge will be just about a quarter away. For desktop users Ivy Bridge is really only going to bring lower power consumption and a better integrated GPU. If you're seriously considering anything in the SNB-E family, the latter isn't going to matter and the former will be of arguable value.

Quote:

I think you will find ya answers here....3960 vs 2600k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=443

3960 vs 3820

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=443

3820 vs 2600k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=287
January 2, 2012 5:38:56 PM

For me it would depend on how much you have to spend if spending the extra 300 is worth it.

I am a Modeler and Texture Artist and I upgraded to a 2600k last summer, and I have thought about moving to a i7-3930k as well. But in reality the only thing that would be significantly improved is render times, and I don't render all that often and if it is going to be that long I do it over night.

So I dont see that much value in the platform past rendering compared to a 2600k like I have, which runs Maya and ZBrush and Photoshop super smoothly.

But for you the only difference in cost is really the $300 more for the CPU, and I think it would probably be worth it if you already have or could buy with it a:
IPS Color Calibrated Display
120GB+ SSD
Quality Wacom Tablet
GTX 560ti+ Graphics Card (Mainly for gaming, but I do like using CUDA in some apps)

If getting the 6 core means not having one of the above I wouldn't do it and wait for Ivy Bridge. But if you can have it all and a 6 core, go for it.
January 2, 2012 6:49:37 PM

Any ideas how much faster (if anything?) a 3930k is vs. an Ivy Bridge?

According to the benchmarks on Anandtech it doesn't really look like the i7-3930k is a big improvement over a 2600k in terms of rendertime? In most of the 3d max renders it surprises me that the difference is so tiny in those charts?

stm1185: Yeah I'll be getting a ssd+a nice graphics card, and already own a nice Wacom tablet, so apart from the color calibration I got those things :)  Got a decent 22" IPS Dell monitor and another crappy 22" as secondary monitor.

I'm sure both systems would run everything smoothly, but I'm also going to be rendering quite a bit (not just overnight but lots of renders for tweaking and testing stuff), however, I'm a little unsure of how big the performance gain is actually going to be.. :( 
!