Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk want boot starts and stops

Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2012 6:06:49 PM

Hello, my desk top was showing hard disk error back up your data , so i took it to pc tech who replaced the disk with new one but my ex drive is 500 time to time i can access the data there but i cant copy them any where else why does it do so by moving the disk to a certain potion it works and xp shows it up connecting it via usb connectors
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 6:36:05 PM

Do you mean you are running XP on your new drive and trying to transfer data from your old drive via USB?
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:36:59 PM

hazim said:
Hello, my desk top was showing hard disk error back up your data , so i took it to pc tech who replaced the disk with new one but my ex drive is 500 time to time i can access the data there but i cant copy them any where else why does it do so by moving the disk to a certain potion it works and xp shows it up connecting it via usb connectors

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

The text below assumes you have a windows operating system and will enable you to ascertain more clearly what issues you have and enable you to determine if you can pull data off yourself.

"Click to open Computer.

Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending on the size of your drive, this might take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it is checking for errors.

Note
If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a drive that's in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the check for the next time you restart your computer."

m
l
Related resources
!