dark cloud style games

hi
i just discovered the dark cloud games series (i know, i'm late) and was
wondering if there are other ps2 games similar to dark cloud. I like the
zelda kinda games. Mixed with Diablo-like features, is pretty good mix.

thx for the hints

"Ken Thibodeau" <krushpin@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> hi
> i just discovered the dark cloud games series (i know, i'm late) and was
> wondering if there are other ps2 games similar to dark cloud. I like the
> zelda kinda games. Mixed with Diablo-like features, is pretty good mix.
>
> thx for the hints

You could try Beyond Good & Evil. Incredible game, and with Zelda-style
gameplay.

Tommy

The Dark Cloud games are very unique...even saying "Diablo-like
features" isn't that accurate. Combining action-RPG with town-building
just isn't done anywhere else on the PS2 that I know of. In Disney &
Square's action-RPG Kingdom Hearts you get to build your own gummi
ships, though it is nowhere near as central to the gameplay as the
town-building in dark cloud is. Google the term "similar to dark
cloud" (with quotes) and there are several other games mentioned that I
haven't played.

On a side note, I hear the second one is much better than the first,
and I enjoyed what I played of the first one (half-way through or so).

Kingdom Hearts

TheShujin <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The Dark Cloud games are very unique...even saying "Diablo-like
> features" isn't that accurate. Combining action-RPG with town-building
> just isn't done anywhere else on the PS2 that I know of. In Disney &
> Square's action-RPG Kingdom Hearts you get to build your own gummi
> ships, though it is nowhere near as central to the gameplay as the
> town-building in dark cloud is. Google the term "similar to dark
> cloud" (with quotes) and there are several other games mentioned that I
> haven't played.

The gummi-ship feature in Kingdom Hearts wasn't a finished concept if you
ask me. There seems to have been more you were supposed to do with the
gummi-ships that just didn't show up in the game. As it stands, you don't
even need to mess with them at all. You can literally just fly through
the levels by sticking to the corners of the screen. Boring and
pointless - especially since the only stuff you can get from shooting down
the ships are energy/armor for your ship, more gummi blocks, or
ocassionally, a gummi ship blueprint.

How does Shadow Hearts: Covenant compare to Dark Cloud?

Try Jak & Daxter I & III(?) (avoid 2), and the Ratchet & Klank series.

I've played only the first Dark Cloud. J&D I was one of the best games
I played. It was tough though. J&D II was one of the worst games I've
played. I haven't played J&D III, but people seem to think they
redeemed themselves from II.

R&K has an upgrade system which is cool.

I think if you like Dark Cloud, you'll also like the above.

~ Lauren

"mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> How does Shadow Hearts: Covenant compare to Dark Cloud?

Shadow Hearts is an japanese RPG, while Dark Cloud is more of an
action/adventure. Shadow Hearts is more comparable to the Final Fantasy
games.

Tommy

"Lauren the Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Try Jak & Daxter I & III(?) (avoid 2), and the Ratchet & Klank series.
>
> I've played only the first Dark Cloud. J&D I was one of the best games
> I played. It was tough though. J&D II was one of the worst games I've
> played. I haven't played J&D III, but people seem to think they
> redeemed themselves from II.
>
> R&K has an upgrade system which is cool.
>
> I think if you like Dark Cloud, you'll also like the above.

Except from the fact that they're from an entirely different genre ;)

Tommy

Angel

"Tommy Stenberg" <nobodysfool@dont.exist> wrote in message

> "Lauren the Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Try Jak & Daxter I & III(?) (avoid 2), and the Ratchet & Klank series.
>>
>> I've played only the first Dark Cloud. J&D I was one of the best games
>> I played. It was tough though. J&D II was one of the worst games I've
>> played. I haven't played J&D III, but people seem to think they
>> redeemed themselves from II.
>>
>> R&K has an upgrade system which is cool.
>>
>> I think if you like Dark Cloud, you'll also like the above.
>
> Except from the fact that they're from an entirely different genre ;)

You just said in your last post of this thread

"Shadow Hearts is an japanese RPG, while Dark Cloud is more of an
action/adventure. Shadow Hearts is more comparable to the Final Fantasy
games."

So how do J & D and R & K not fit into the action/adventure genre?

> Tommy

Sorry all, I don't know what "platformer" is, nor the different
attributes that separate one genre from another. I'm basing my
comparisons on how I experience the game play. The camera view is
behind the person, you go from place to place to collect things and
fight off attacks with the occasional boss fight, and they all cartoony
and seem to be geared towards the same general age group.

~ Lauren

Angel <Angela7422@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So how do J & D and R & K not fit into the action/adventure genre?

J&D and R&K are platformers, which I would put into the larger Action
category. Same with Beyond Good & Evil.

And to be honest, I don't think any of the games here are that similar to
Dark Cloud which has an RPG element, dungeon crawler (like Diablo)
element, but also a bit of a town/sim/puzzle element as well.

The Final Fantasy series and Shadow Hearts are strictly RPGs.

Someone mentioned Kingdom Hearts, which I'd call an action-RPG with some
platformer elements.

Diablo is a good comparison since you've got the dungeon crawl element, as
well as some RPG elements (character building) and the item
building/creation stuff as well. You don't have the town stuff, though.

I can't think of any other game that includes all the elements found
in the Dark Cloud games. So now it becomes an issue what elements of Dark
Cloud did the original poster like.

How about Xenosaga or Kingdom Hearts> somewhat similar and both as
good imo.

Lauren the Ravishing <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry all, I don't know what "platformer" is, nor the different
> attributes that separate one genre from another. I'm basing my
> comparisons on how I experience the game play. The camera view is
> behind the person, you go from place to place to collect things and
> fight off attacks with the occasional boss fight, and they all cartoony
> and seem to be geared towards the same general age group.

Platformers refer to games that involve your character running around a
series of levels that require a number of jumps to avoid things or reach
new areas. The classic example of a platformer would be the old 2D Super
Mario or Sonic The Hedgehog games. Platformers also include a number of
collectible items - like coins or rings. You usually get a reward for
getting a certain number (like 100) of them, or gathering all of the items
in a particular stage. Platformers also have enemies that you can defeat
by stomping or shooting them, but they're generally just another obstacle
to avoid. You might get a coin or something from killing one, but you're
not required to kill them. Modern examples of platformers include
Jax&Daxter, Ratchet&Clank, Crash Bandicoot, and Rayman.

brendan5@juno.com wrote:
> How about Xenosaga or Kingdom Hearts> somewhat similar and both as
> good imo.

Xenosaga is a traditional console-style RPG.

Kingdom Hearts is an action-RPG.

They're similar in that both are RGPs, meaning you characters can gain
experience from battles, which allows them to level up and become
stronger. You can also purchase or otherwise upgrade better equipment and
weapons for your party. Finally, there are spells or skills you can learn
and/or develop. Each area in the game will be filled with random battles
as you seek out hidden treasure chests containing items or money, and at
the end of each area is a boss who's usually considerably tougher than the
random monsters you've encountered. The real difference between the two
is that in Xenosaga, the battles are turn based. When it is time for your
character to choose an action (attack, use item, use spell, etc.) the
action stops while you select your action. Whereas in Kingdom Hearts, the
battles take place right on the map and do not have turns. You simply run
around mashing the attack button while triggering other attacks with
programmable macros.

Tommy Stenberg wrote:
> "mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> How does Shadow Hearts: Covenant compare to Dark Cloud?
>>

> Shadow Hearts is an japanese RPG, while Dark Cloud is more of an
> action/adventure. Shadow Hearts is more comparable to the Final
> Fantasy games.

Yea, Covenant kicks major butt in the gameplay department but blows chunks
in just about everything else when compared to FF.

My dream is a FF game with the judgement ring of SH done by the dude who
designed Vagrant Story (forget his name, will be working on FF XII as well).