How to MAP a Network drive?

September 3, 2004 2:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

I have two machines networked to each other via a D-Link router.

One machine is W98 - the other is WXP PRO.

All is working pretty well - My Network Places (XP) finds the shared
folders and files under them on the 98 machine fine. Network
Neighborhood (98) finds the shared folders and files under them on the
XP machine fine.

But... While Windows Explorer on the XP machine will 'map' the shared
folders on the 98 machine fine, the reverse is not true. When I try
to 'map' on the 98 machine the shared folders on the XP machine it
cannot find them at all.

Any ideas why or what I haven't done?

Thanks

More about : map network drive

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 7:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

Check the security options first, if they are fine...so check the user and
its rights. hope it will work.

Nadeem

<wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> I have two machines networked to each other via a D-Link router.
>
> One machine is W98 - the other is WXP PRO.
>
> All is working pretty well - My Network Places (XP) finds the shared
> folders and files under them on the 98 machine fine. Network
> Neighborhood (98) finds the shared folders and files under them on the
> XP machine fine.
>
> But... While Windows Explorer on the XP machine will 'map' the shared
> folders on the 98 machine fine, the reverse is not true. When I try
> to 'map' on the 98 machine the shared folders on the XP machine it
> cannot find them at all.
>
> Any ideas why or what I haven't done?
>
> Thanks
September 3, 2004 7:22:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:22:12 +0500, "Microsoft News"
<merimanzil@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Check the security options first, if they are fine...so check the user and
>its rights. hope it will work.
>
>Nadeem

On the XP machine, under security options for properties for the two
sub-directories involved, it shows 'full control' for all users except
'CREATOR OWNER'. When I check 'full control' under 'CREATOR OWNER',
it checks all the other boxes, & then when I click 'OK', it takes a
while, but all boxes are then UNCHECKED again!

This is the only anomaly I see.

I don't see any of these things on the 98 machine.

Thanks

!