AMD Operating Temps

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
hello,
I have an FX-4170 processor. I installed a new Video card and was putting it through the nvidia testing software that came with it, and a warning came up from my AMD software saying my CPU temp had reached 65*C. I stopped the test and my CPU temp went back down to 40*C. Are these normal temps? How hot is too hot? I have the stock cooler that came with the processor, All fans are working, and the case is well ventilated. The AMD software showed the MB at 28*C and never really moved much there, but kinda worried me when the temp on the CPU went to 65*C, and in a relatively short time (<5 min). Any suggestions?

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I will have to look this evening for the voltage, as for the paste, I lightly covered CPU with paste, using the "Glove method". Should I redo the paste another way?

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
According to ASUS AI Suite 2,
Vcore is 1.092V
CPU is 38*C
MB is 27*C
Processor fan speed 1890RPM

According to AMD Overdrive utility,
CPU Core 0, 1, 2, 3 is reading 12.1*C (but varies a few degrees every few seconds)
TMPIN1 38*C
FANIN1 1885 RPM (which corresponds to ASUS's readings as well)

Seems I am getting same info on both suites. Ran the graphics card benchmark test again and CPU temp went to 60*C again. Is there some way the paste (Arctic Alumina Ceramic) has anything to do with this? I noticed no performance drop at those readings, everything worked, and had I not had guages running I prolly would have never known.

cmi86

Distinguished
Yeah unless your room is 53.6F or you have the greatest CPU cooler known to man I'm gonna have to say those core reading from overdrive are very inaccurate.

Download HWMonitor and give me your readings from that please.
Also enter the BIOS and let me know what the BIOS says the CPU temp is.

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Hardware monitor ITE IT8721
Voltage 0 11.68 Volts [0xEA] (+12V)
Voltage 1 4.83 Volts [0xE6] (+5V)
Voltage 2 1.09 Volts [0x5B] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 3 1.64 Volts [0x89] (VIN3)
Voltage 4 2.74 Volts [0xE4] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 3.13 Volts [0xD1] (+3.3V)
Voltage 6 1.40 Volts [0x75] (VIN6)
Voltage 7 2.51 Volts [0xD1] (VIN7)
Voltage 8 1.67 Volts [0x8B] (VIN8)
Temperature 0 37°C (98°F) [0x25] (CPU)
Temperature 1 27°C (80°F) [0x1B] (Mainboard)
Fan 0 1880 RPM [0x167] (CPU)
Fan 1 1138 RPM [0x251] (FANIN1)
Fan 2 1172 RPM [0x240] (FANIN2)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)

Bios correlates the same temp. Also note that as per time this was taken, only thing I was doing was reading this forum ( and your previous link onpaste). Also, thank you for taking your time helping me with this. Temp in the house is 67*F

cmi86

Distinguished

No problem man, there was a time when I didn't know what I do now and some help was greatly appreciated lol.

What are the core temp reading from hwmonitor ?
Have you updated your BIOS ? If so what version are they?
Did you use the thermal paste that came pre-applied to the CPU ?
What other cooling fans do you have in your case for intaking cool air and exhausting hot air ?

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Core temps are:
Core 0, 1, 2, 3 - 16*C
CPU temp - 41*C

Yes, to version 1102.
No. Had issue with processor during build, and had to scrape the paste. FWIW, I just removed the heatsink/fan and cleaned off, reapplied paste in accordance to the link you gave me earlier, and re-ran the graphic card tests. Went to 64*C and stayed there.

AS for fans, I have a coolermaster case, with one front fan intake, two top-rear fans for exhaust, one upper backside for exhaust, one side mount (on the clear see- thru cover) for intake, blowing right towards Graphic card/CPU area, and of course, CPU fan. No hot air at all coming out any of the exhaust fans. PSU fan bottom mounted exhausting its own heat out the bottom.

cmi86

Distinguished

Well just to be safe try flashing your BIOS to the newest version one more time. Do this VIA the BIOS not windows.

If this does not work I hate to say it but it sounds like you have a BAD CPU that somehow snuck past QC and it's RMA time.

cmi86

Distinguished
Yes I know the pain of RMA all too well. I bought my 2 6950's as a crossfire promotion package and because one of them had issues I had to send them both back and use a GTS-250 for about 2 weeks. If you are still within the return time frame of the retailer you bought your FX from you may be able to just return it as defective and have a faster turn around time. What Thermal Paste are you using BTW ?

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Unfortunately I am 3 days past Neweggs 30 day RMA. Go figure.. As for teh paste, I used Arctic Alumina (Arctic silver) Ceramic paste. I just tried to run Prime95 on it. It lasted 34 seconds before it shut down.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Before you go RMA'ing stuff just ensure its not user error by cleaning the paste of properly (use alcohol) then re-applying (no more than a grain of rice size amount) and placing the heatsink (double check the heatsink is on and seated properly).

The majoriy of problems like this are user error, too much or too little paste or the heatsink being sat at a bad angle. Easy mistakes to make even if your experienced.

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012

I used 91% ISO alchohol to clean items of paste. Even went to Arctics website to make sure I was doing it right. I removed sink once again last night after my reply with CMI86, and "started from scratch". Prime95 lasted 37 seconds @70*C before auto-shutdown happened. I let it cool last night, restarted it this morning, and immediately went to HWMonitor, CPU temp was 36*C.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
ok. So it idles right now at 36? thats not a bad temp. Does it still sky rocket underload?

How did it do before the New GPU as this was where your problems began? If you have an aftermarket CPU cooler is this pointed down at the GPU? If it is it may be sucking the hottest air of the rear of the GPU.

Have you overclocked at all? You may try changing your fan config inclusing the PSU you have 4 exhaust compared to 2 Intake... can you move one of the top exhausts to the front?

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Yes, usually sits around 38-40, but as soon as any kinda load get's on it, it skyrockets quick.

It ran warm but I never had it shutdown. I removed the graphics card last night and put the old one back in and ran Prime95 again, and does the same thing. I reinstalled the new Graphics card.
CPU cooler is stock. processor is not overclocked. Graphics card vents to rear.
I have tried everything with fans, from varying speeds, shutting down some, covering the top two and letting just the front intake and rear fans work, you name it.
I know AMD's normaly run hot, but I should be able to do prime 95 for more than 35 seconds... I have not even played a video game on this 'puter and don't feel it would last long if I did.

cmi86

Distinguished

Regardless he should not be maxxing out temps at stock clocks/voltage/cooler. I owned an FX and mine ran MUCH cooler than this one. I have explored all possible avenues with him and are left with no other option than to accuse the CPU.

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I have been looking through various forums and seems that there is a big debate on whether temps are to be taken from CPU or the Core temps. Seems AMD processors rely more on core temps then CPU temps. I will post those when I get home and see what is thought..

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Just downloaded coretemp and ran it along with HW monitor. Started Prime95, Both showed core temps spike immediately to 60*C, and continued to rise. CPU temp was right behind it. Had to shut the prime95 down.

Damn....

cmi86

Distinguished

Like I said, sounds like RMA time.