component video worth it?

Is component video worth it for non-HD displays vs. S-video?

I have the chance to get a Magnavox with component inputs, and composite
outputs, at a VERY low price. Currently, I have an S-video TV. Both are 20
inches. This is my gaming TV.

It seems in my experience with a small widescreen TV (Samsung 26 inches)
that the main difference between S-video and component is that S-video is a
little more washed out looking, whereas component has better looking colors.
I can't see a huge difference in resolution. True or false?

I'm not really interested in HDTV for a couple of reasons. I like to play
lightgun games (I have the Sony AV breakout plug for that) occasionally, and
scan doublers don't work with them (why can't we have TV's with "game" modes
like the Europeans have?). Also, the PS2 only has a handful of games that
even do progressive scan widescreen, so I just don't think it's worth it to
spend over 600 on even a small HDTV. My parents have an HDTV, a 26 inch set
(in fact I set it up and calibrated the color and geometry, disabled SVM,
etc.), but it's not used for gaming (yes, I still live at home... don't
blame me, blame George Bush's masterful economics).
20 answers Last reply
More about component video worth

    In article <_1Ooe.98666$J25.26806@bignews6.bellsouth.net>, "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > Is component video worth it for non-HD displays vs. S-video?
    >
    > I have the chance to get a Magnavox with component inputs, and composite
    >outputs, at a VERY low price. Currently, I have an S-video TV. Both are 20
    >inches. This is my gaming TV.

    Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.

    "Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > In article <_1Ooe.98666$J25.26806@bignews6.bellsouth.net>, "Magnulus"
    > <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >> Is component video worth it for non-HD displays vs. S-video?
    >>
    >> I have the chance to get a Magnavox with component inputs, and composite
    >>outputs, at a VERY low price. Currently, I have an S-video TV. Both are
    >>20
    >>inches. This is my gaming TV.
    >
    > Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    > TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    > any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.

    On a related subject. I already have a television with component inputs,
    should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component cable?
    It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture or not.

    "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <_1Ooe.98666$J25.26806@bignews6.bellsouth.net>, "Magnulus"
    >> <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>> Is component video worth it for non-HD displays vs. S-video?
    >>>
    >>> I have the chance to get a Magnavox with component inputs, and
    >>> composite
    >>>outputs, at a VERY low price. Currently, I have an S-video TV. Both are
    >>>20
    >>>inches. This is my gaming TV.
    >>
    >> Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    >> TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    >> any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.
    >
    > On a related subject. I already have a television with component inputs,
    > should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component
    > cable? It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture or
    > not.

    I picked up some $10 components since my 27" had them just to see and it
    makes the picture a bit sharper and colors more vibrant.

    "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message

    > "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    >>> TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    >>> any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.
    >>
    >> On a related subject. I already have a television with component inputs,
    >> should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component
    >> cable? It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture
    >> or not.
    >>
    > I picked up some $10 components since my 27" had them just to see and it
    > makes the picture a bit sharper and colors more vibrant.

    Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on my
    television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player? Yes, I know PS2
    plays DVDs I don't use this feature though as I'm a bit wary of burning out
    the laser faster.

    <matt@planetmatt.f2s.com> wrote in message

    > Angel wrote:
    >> "Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> > Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    >> > TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    >> > any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.
    >>
    >> On a related subject. I already have a television with component inputs,
    >> should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component
    >> cable?
    >> It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture or not.
    >
    > Componant YUV is far better than Componant RGB and a milions times
    > better than Composite. Color and vibrancy is incredible and text
    > becomes really easy to read. The only problem I have with my YUV on my
    > PS2 is that the jaggies look far worse as every pixel is visible and
    > you dont get the smoothing effect that lower quality video feeds give.
    > I primarily went to YUV so I could get HD from my PS2 but I have
    > subsequently found out that only US PS2 games have this option. :((

    and not many games at that. Next Gen is going to be much much different
    though. HD standard... going to be great... well for those of us with HDTVs

    --Brenden
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Angel <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on my
    >television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player?

    If your DVD player and TV supports progressive scan then you should
    definately connect the DVD player to your TV using the component input.
    Otherwise, I'd say it's a judgement call Try it both ways and see which
    way around is better for you.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

    "Ross Ridge" <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
    > Angel <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on
    >>my
    >>television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player?
    >
    > If your DVD player and TV supports progressive scan then you should
    > definately connect the DVD player to your TV using the component input.
    > Otherwise, I'd say it's a judgement call Try it both ways and see which
    > way around is better for you.

    I'm sure she'd rather not spend the money finding out.... i would go with
    which ever you use more often. If you watch more movies than you do play
    video games, go with the DVD cables...

    --Brenden

    > Ross Ridge
    >
    > --
    > l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    > [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    > -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    > db //
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Ross Ridge" <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
    > Angel <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on
    >>my
    >>television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player?
    >
    > If your DVD player and TV supports progressive scan then you should
    > definately connect the DVD player to your TV using the component input.
    > Otherwise, I'd say it's a judgement call Try it both ways and see which
    > way around is better for you.
    >
    > Ross Ridge

    I don't suppose they make component connection splitters?

    > --
    > l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    > [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    > -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    > db //
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm sure she'd rather not spend the money finding out....

    It doesn't cost that much to find out, we're not talking about buying
    a new TV here, just a couple of cables.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    db //
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Ross Ridge" <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
    >> Angel <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>>Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on
    >>>my
    >>>television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player?
    >>
    >> If your DVD player and TV supports progressive scan then you should
    >> definately connect the DVD player to your TV using the component input.
    >> Otherwise, I'd say it's a judgement call Try it both ways and see which
    >> way around is better for you.
    >>
    >> Ross Ridge
    >
    > I don't suppose they make component connection splitters?

    You can get component selector boxes.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message

    > <matt@planetmatt.f2s.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Angel wrote:
    >>> "Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> On a related subject. I already have a television with component
    >>> inputs,
    >>> should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component
    >>> cable?
    >>> It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture or not.
    >>
    >> Componant YUV is far better than Componant RGB and a milions times
    >> better than Composite. Color and vibrancy is incredible and text
    >> becomes really easy to read. The only problem I have with my YUV on my
    >> PS2 is that the jaggies look far worse as every pixel is visible and
    >> you dont get the smoothing effect that lower quality video feeds give.
    >> I primarily went to YUV so I could get HD from my PS2 but I have
    >> subsequently found out that only US PS2 games have this option. :((
    >>

    > and not many games at that. Next Gen is going to be much much different
    > though. HD standard... going to be great... well for those of us with
    > HDTVs

    The PS2 has one true HDTV game and that is GT4. The system also has quite a
    few games that support 480p. You can find out which games support what for
    all consoles at http://www.hdtvarcade.com Until the next-gen systems come
    out, an Xbox has the most HDTV support at this time.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Ross Ridge" <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
    >> If your DVD player and TV supports progressive scan then you should
    >> definately connect the DVD player to your TV using the component input.
    >> Otherwise, I'd say it's a judgement call Try it both ways and see which
    >> way around is better for you.
    >
    > Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote:
    >> I'm sure she'd rather not spend the money finding out....
    >
    > It doesn't cost that much to find out, we're not talking about buying
    > a new TV here, just a couple of cables.

    easy for you to say... that money could be better spent on the gas for my
    car.

    > Ross Ridge
    >
    > --
    > l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    > [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    > -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    > db //
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Sammy \"The Bull\" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote:

    > Spread your wings, and leave the nest. Stop mooching off of mommy and
    > daddy. If rent is expensive, get what you can afford... even if it means
    > living in squalor.

    I was unemployed for about a year. Companies just weren't hiring (and
    still aren't - at least not like they were pre-2000.). Sure, I could have
    gotten a job at the local Burger King, but that would have meant I would be
    getting *LESS* money than what I was getting from unemployement. I
    suspect many others have been, or still are, in the same situation.

    Thankfully, I had savings and other resources to fall back on. I consider
    myself pretty lucky overall.

    Meanwhile, I hear about Bush encouraging outsourcing tech-jobs that I am
    trained and qualified for to foreign countries. Not to mention his
    continued policies that will continue to hamper science firms' research
    and development of emerging technologies. If this isn't changed, the US
    will lose its edge in the bio-technology marketplace to places like India
    and China.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > "Sammy \"The Bull\" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote:
    >
    > > Spread your wings, and leave the nest. Stop mooching off of mommy and
    > > daddy. If rent is expensive, get what you can afford... even if it
    means
    > > living in squalor.
    >
    > I was unemployed for about a year. Companies just weren't hiring (and
    > still aren't - at least not like they were pre-2000.). Sure, I could have
    > gotten a job at the local Burger King, but that would have meant I would
    be
    > getting *LESS* money than what I was getting from unemployement. I
    > suspect many others have been, or still are, in the same situation.
    >
    > Thankfully, I had savings and other resources to fall back on. I consider
    > myself pretty lucky overall.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I hear about Bush encouraging outsourcing tech-jobs that I am
    > trained and qualified for to foreign countries. Not to mention his
    > continued policies that will continue to hamper science firms' research
    > and development of emerging technologies. If this isn't changed, the US
    > will lose its edge in the bio-technology marketplace to places like India
    > and China.

    Whhhhhaaaaaaaa, I am a bitter baby... Whhhhhhaaaaaaa...

    -Sammy
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Dave <dm@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Back to the subject. IMO, no, not worth it. I wouldn't buy a new
    > TV just to get a component video input just for the slight (if
    > any) benefit over s-video with normal interlaced programs.

    For a smaller 20" set, I'd agree. But if he got a larger set, like a 27"
    one, then yes, the component video really makes a difference - ESPECIALLY
    for DVD movies, but games will also benefit.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Angel <Angela7422@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On a related subject. I already have a television with component inputs,
    > should I quit using the yellow, white, red cable and get a component cable?
    > It isn't an HDTV not sure if there will be an upgrade in picture or not.

    You should at least upgrade to s-video. You'll notice a HUGE
    improvement. The difference between s-video to component video is less
    extreme, but still noticable enough in my opinion to make it worth the
    expense.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Angel <Angela7422@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Ok, this leads me to another question, I only have one component input on my
    > television, should I use it for the PS2, or the DVD player? Yes, I know PS2
    > plays DVDs I don't use this feature though as I'm a bit wary of burning out
    > the laser faster.

    I noticed the biggest difference when playing DVDs.

    Then again, you could always just buy a cheap composite video switch, and
    plug the 3 component video cables into that. What does the switch care?
    I did this until I ended up with 3 component video sources, and
    consolidated my multiple switches with that component switch from Pelican.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Angel <Angela7422@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I don't suppose they make component connection splitters?

    They do, but they tend to be expensive.

    The cheapest one I've found is the System Selector Pro, which you can find
    over by the video game accessories. It allows you to switch between 7
    different devices using composite, s-video or component video. It'll even
    allow you to use optical audio/TOSLINK for 3 of the devices, making this a
    bargin at $70.

    But...if you're on a budget, you can do what I used to - use a cheap
    composite video switch. Component video is 3 cables, composite video is 3
    cables - ignore the labels - the switch really doesn't care what it's
    being used for. If you need to switch between the sets of red/white audio
    cables, you can just use a second switch in parallel. Or, you could just
    plug the DVD's optical audio into your receiver and the PS2 directly to
    your TV. A 2 source composite video switch is like $5.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > easy for you to say... that money could be better spent on the gas for my
    > car.

    Don't drive a gas guzzler...

    I've gotten perfectly good component cables for less than six dollars for
    TV sets and DVD players. Mad Catz PS2 component cables are perfectly
    acceptable, too.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > Then again, you could always just buy a cheap composite video switch, and
    > plug the 3 component video cables into that. What does the switch care?

    It depends on the quality you want. I don't know for sure if the
    composite switch boxes can support the extra bandwith of component video
    (probably not as big a problem for most console games, as they generally
    don't support HDTV). The composite and audio cables aren't exactly the same
    as the comonent video cables, even though they will work in a pinch. The
    best way to know would be to just try it and see if the resulting image is
    acceptable- the boxes are cheap at Radio Shack.

Console Gaming Video Games Components Video Games