Sign in with
Your question

Suddenly, things went terribly wrong...

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 4:12:24 PM

Hello all,

My new computer build was looking good and going well.

MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 motherboard
Intel core i5-2500 processor
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Western Digital Caviar 320GB HDD
(2) LG 24x DVDRW optical drives
680W power supply
HP Compaq LE1911 monitor

Loaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS on Tuesday. On Saturday I loaded MSI drivers & utilities, Logisys multimedia keyboard drivers, Canon digital camera program, and Microsoft Office 2007. Anytime I was prompted to reboot I did so. All the fore-mentioned software was on disk.

I then ran updates for MSI drivers & utilities (was prompted to do so) and downloaded Firefox for my browser. I had not run Windows updates. No problems up to this point. I was downloading Google Earth at 12:02am Sunday when the Blue Screen of Death showed up and the computer and monitor shutdown, then the computer started back up on its own (within one or two seconds). I turned power off with the power supply switch for a few seconds then back on. The monitor came back on but only had green dots along the left edge of the screen and a line of green dots across the screen about 40% up from the bottom.

I turned the power off at the power supply again and waited about 20 minutes. When turned back on the monitor had the green dots across the bottom of the screen, a white dash at the top left corner about one inch from either edge and the numbers 98 in the very bottom right. I'm suspecting that this is an error code.

In what seemed like a futile effort on my part, the power supply was turn off and unplugged. 30 minutes later the same result as the very previous occurred.

Starting it up on Sunday the 98 had changed to B2. The B2 came up only once, the rest of the time it has been 98 with A3 showing up when I rebooted without the HDD connected and after clearing BIOS and CMOS. Starting the computer with the F8 key pressed to start in safe mode writing came up on the screen then it went black with 98 in the corner.

At this point I'm thinking I should remove the HDD and have it wiped clean then start over. If there is anything else I can do or try I'd like to know.

Thanks.
January 2, 2012 4:29:28 PM

If you have the Windows install disk you can try to put that in and with the dvd as the first boot option run the repair Windows install option. Are you able to get into the bios at all? If you can't get into the bios then the problem is more than the HDD. Do you have any other computer parts handy that you can switch out and try. When you push the power button to start the computer is there a post beep.
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:38:09 PM

You are using on-board graphics? Have you overclocked the cpu?
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2012 4:46:57 PM

first this board got a dual bios also there is a reset directly to the board.do you use the internal video or a pci-e card,try to check the monotor on another board if you could tyr another monitor on this board
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:21:47 PM

Except for trying to start in safe mode, the screen goes black immediately. In safe mode I saw some writing but it went black too soon to read what was there. At the post beep is when the monitor comes on. I can not get to BIOS, install, reinstall, or uninstall anything. I am using the on board graphics and have not overclocked.

The 98, A3, & B2 are not listed in the error codes just posted on this thread. I typed them into Yahoo to find them. One point I want to make clear is that I am only guessing that what appears in the bottom right corner of the screen is an error code. No one has confirmed this for me yet.

I'm getting ready to leave for work in a few minutes, but when I get back I'll start unplugging LEDs and USBs and swap the monitor. Those moves are free of charge. I don't have any other parts to change out after that.

Thanks.
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:23:02 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Systems by Area51reopened
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:31:34 PM

you said ...... I had not run Windows updates. No problems up to this point....

why not. the machine may need something that's there to keep it stable or secure from intrusion.

m
l
January 2, 2012 7:18:54 PM

swifty_morgan said:

why not. the machine may need something that's there to keep it stable or secure from intrusion.

98 = "Console input devices connect"
MSI FORUMS
m
l
January 3, 2012 5:49:37 AM

swifty_morgan said:

Oversight, I didn't do it soon enough.
m
l
January 3, 2012 10:08:56 AM

Spurzer said:
98 = "Console input devices connect"
MSI FORUMS

I believe I found the forum where you got your info. If not, I found a forum where the information leads me to where I should go. Thanks.

From what I have found it looks like buying a new hard drive and reinstalling the programming is the best solution. When loading the MSI drivers I think this needs to be done manually to prevent the Marvell software from loading. Looks like it has been a problem for others and MSI is aware of it.

A family emergency has arisen so the next few days will be devoted to that.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'll get back to this as soon as I can.
m
l
January 3, 2012 10:15:23 AM

Green dots on the screen look like a GPU problem. If you can, borrow an inexpensive video card and see what happens.

Also, if you didn't install antivirus software before you went on online the first time, that could be your problem.
m
l
January 3, 2012 6:32:51 PM

jsc said:
Green dots on the screen look like a GPU problem. If you can, borrow an inexpensive video card and see what happens.

Also, if you didn't install antivirus software before you went on online the first time, that could be your problem.

Norton's was loaded with the MSI drivers & utilities, but that too was not updated before the crash. I was concentrating on loading software and setting up the PC. The updates were to follow.

The green dots went away after which I noticed the error code. Spurzer now has me wondering who is producing the error code, MSI or Microsoft? Who puts their error code in the bottom right corner? Lettering came up on the screen when I tried to start in safe mode. You will know better than I, but does this still sound like a GPU problem?

Thanks.
m
l
January 3, 2012 7:17:18 PM

Acording with some of the reports on the msi forum I'm incline to think we're talking about a bad mobo if you're still under warranty you should try some trouble shooting with msi tech support and if no avail get a RMA
m
l
January 3, 2012 7:24:21 PM

AMI BIOS:
1 beep - System boot successfull
*1beep - Refresh failure - (NO VIDEO) memory refresh failure (bad memory)
2 beeps - Parity error - bad memory
3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure - bad memory
4 beeps - Timer not operational - bad motherboard
5 beeps - Processor error - bad processor
6 beeps - 8042 gate A20 failure - bad cpu or mainboard
7 beeps - Processor exception interput error - bad processor
8 beeps - Display memory read/write failure - bad video card or memory
9 beeps - ROM checksum error - bad BIOS
10 beeps - CMOS shutdown register read/write error - bad motherboard
11 beeps - Cache memory bad - bad CPU or motherboard
12 beeps - BIOS rom file incorrect size - The BIOS ROM file found does not match the size of the flash device
13 beeps - BIOS rom image mismatch - The BIOS ROM file layout configuration does not match image present in the flash device
5 short + 1 long beeps - Memory error - No memory detected in the memory slots.
6 short + 1 long beeps - Memory error - EDO memory detected in system
7 short + 1 long beeps - SMBUS error

AWARD BIOS:
1 short - System boot successfull
2 short - CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short - DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short - Keyboard error
1 long 9 short - BIOS ROM error
*repeated beeps - DRAM error
*repeated short beeps - Power error
*Repeated high & low beeps - Processor is damaged/Overheated

PHOENIX BIOS:
1 - 1 - 2 CPU / motherboard failure Bad CPU / motherboard
1 - 1 - 3 CMOS read/write failure Bad motherboard
1 - 1 - 4 BIOS ROM failure Bad BIOS chip
1 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 2 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 3 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 3 - 1 Memory refresh failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 1 Address line failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 2 Parity error Bad memory
1 - 4 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 4 - 4 NMI port failure Bad motherboard
2 - 1 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
3 - 1 - 1 Slave DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 2 Master DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 3 Interrupt controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 -4 Slave IC failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 -2 Interrupt Controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 2 - 4 Keyboard control failure Bad motherboard
3 - 3 - 1 CMOS batter failure Bad CMOS battery
3 - 3 - 2 CMOS configuration error Incorrect setting
3 - 3 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 3 - 4 Video memory failure Bad video card or memory
3 - 4 - 1 Video init failure Bad video card or memory
4 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 2 CMOS shutdown failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 3 Gate A20 failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 4 Unexpected interrupt Bad processor
4 - 3 - 1 RAM test failure Bad memory
4 - 3 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 3 - 4 RTC failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 1 Serial port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 2 Parallel port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 3 Coprocessor failure Bad motherboard or CPU.
9 - 2 - 1 Video adapter incompatibility Use a different brand of video card
m
l
January 13, 2012 5:50:46 AM

Now that I've been able to get back to the problem at hand, it appears that one stick of RAM was bad. Whether or not the RAM failed on its own or the MB caused the RAM to fail is a question that I have to figure out.

I had already reseated the memory, but this time I decided to try it with just one stick and it worked. I then installed a second stick and things failed. I removed that stick and tried the other two and the PC booted up each time. I tried this experiment because its free of charge and I'm feeling stingy. The MSI tech recommended installing a video card, as did others here. Considering that that is the route I was about to take, I consider myself to be in good company.

At this point the new clear case computer is up and running. However, the design intended for 16 GB of RAM, not 8 GB. I'll have to address this soon.

Thanks to everyone here for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

With greatest respects, MrWiggly
m
l
!