Advise: Canon EOS 350D Zoom Lens Auto Focus

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 8, 2005 4:30:33 PM

Archived from groups: free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital (More info?)

I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D) !!!

It really is great !!!

But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those times
when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action. Nothing over
the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but gets somewhere
near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto lens (3x))

And maybe even a wide angle lens.

I'm not really up on the Canon Stuff as you may be able to tell as I'm
asking these questions in fact this is my first real PRO camera and I still
have a lot to learn if I'm not just going to use Fully Automatic ;o)

Tony
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:48:38 PM

"Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
> !!!
>
> It really is great !!!
>
> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those times
> when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action. Nothing over
> the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but gets
> somewhere near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto lens
> (3x))
>
> And maybe even a wide angle lens.
>
> I'm not really up on the Canon Stuff as you may be able to tell as I'm
> asking these questions in fact this is my first real PRO camera and I
> still have a lot to learn if I'm not just going to use Fully Automatic ;o)
>
> Tony

Do you have any idea what sort of budget you are looking to spend?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:32:55 PM

Archived from groups: free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital (More info?)

"Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
!!!

> It really is great !!!
>
> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those times
> when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action. Nothing over
> the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but gets
somewhere
> near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto lens (3x))

1. Any L series lens - although you suggest that your budget may be
restricted, so;

2. The 28 to 105 f3.5/4.5.

I'm in the UK and paid £189 for the 28-105. If you stop it down a little
it's quite sharp.

Today I took out my new toy, a 70-200mm f2.8 L series lens. Approaching 4
times the price but worth every penny. At f2.8 it's sharper than the 28-105
at any apeture. Colours are saturated and contrast is perfect.

Buy the 28-105 for now and save up for the L series lenses, that way you
will make the most of your 350D

John
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital (More info?)

Haven't really given that a lot of thought yet

Tony

"-=ncd=-" <ncd@-=R3M0V3=-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
>> !!!
>>
>> It really is great !!!
>>
>> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those
>> times when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action.
>> Nothing over the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but
>> gets somewhere near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto
>> lens (3x))
>>
>> And maybe even a wide angle lens.
>>
>> I'm not really up on the Canon Stuff as you may be able to tell as I'm
>> asking these questions in fact this is my first real PRO camera and I
>> still have a lot to learn if I'm not just going to use Fully Automatic
>> ;o)
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Do you have any idea what sort of budget you are looking to spend?

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:52:09 PM

news:o Stfe.19021$wu2.9940@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Haven't really given that a lot of thought yet
>
> Tony
>
> "-=ncd=-" <ncd@-=R3M0V3=-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
>>> !!!
>>>
>>> It really is great !!!
>>>
>>> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those
>>> times when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action.
>>> Nothing over the top of course just something that isnt too expensive
>>> but gets somewhere near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with
>>> telephoto lens (3x))
>>>
>>> And maybe even a wide angle lens.
>>>
>>> I'm not really up on the Canon Stuff as you may be able to tell as I'm
>>> asking these questions in fact this is my first real PRO camera and I
>>> still have a lot to learn if I'm not just going to use Fully Automatic
>>> ;o)
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>

>> Do you have any idea what sort of budget you are looking to spend?

Ok once you have your budget set (this usually more than what you tell your
other half the item really was) let us know also what sort of photos you
like taking. Is it a lens that you want to carry around with you whilst on
holiday etc? Or one that you are going to be using on a tripod?
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:44:35 AM

Archived from groups: free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital (More info?)

OK having thought about it and the bills ;o) I've decided to put to one side
£150.00 for now.

And yes its mainly to carry on Holiday, most of my photos are taken either
on holiday or of our children during the many competitions they are involved
in which means taking shots in Sports setting as they tend to be action
shots.

While on the action/sports theme, I had my first real outing yesterday in a
badly lit gym which gave an orange colour to the pics, typically I wasn't
allowed a flash (understandable too). So as I'm still learning I decided to
use Sport setting and leave it at that but the results were not all that
good in fact it would seem the shutter was still far to slow as many of the
shots on fast moving action are blurred. What would you guys have done in
this situation.

> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o Stfe.19021$wu2.9940@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>> Haven't really given that a lot of thought yet
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> "-=ncd=-" <ncd@-=R3M0V3=-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>> Do you have any idea what sort of budget you are looking to spend?
>>>

> Ok once you have your budget set (this usually more than what you tell
> your other half the item really was) let us know also what sort of photos
> you like taking. Is it a lens that you want to carry around with you
> whilst on holiday etc? Or one that you are going to be using on a tripod?

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:47:50 AM

Archived from groups: free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital (More info?)

Sorry I'm going to seem really slow here what do you mean by "stop it down"

Tony

"eatmorepies" <jan9mung9mun9day@lineone.net> wrote in message

> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
> !!!
>>
>> It really is great !!!
>>
>> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those
>> times
>> when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action. Nothing over
>> the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but gets
> somewhere
>> near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto lens (3x))
>>

> 1. Any L series lens - although you suggest that your budget may be
> restricted, so;
>
> 2. The 28 to 105 f3.5/4.5.
>
> I'm in the UK and paid £189 for the 28-105. If you stop it down a little
> it's quite sharp.
>
> Today I took out my new toy, a 70-200mm f2.8 L series lens. Approaching 4
> times the price but worth every penny. At f2.8 it's sharper than the
> 28-105
> at any apeture. Colours are saturated and contrast is perfect.
>
> Buy the 28-105 for now and save up for the L series lenses, that way you
> will make the most of your 350D
>
> John

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:32:43 PM

news:D xEfe.19090$wu2.13952@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> OK having thought about it and the bills ;o) I've decided to put to one
> side £150.00 for now.
>
> And yes its mainly to carry on Holiday, most of my photos are taken either
> on holiday or of our children during the many competitions they are
> involved in which means taking shots in Sports setting as they tend to be
> action shots.
>
> While on the action/sports theme, I had my first real outing yesterday in
> a badly lit gym which gave an orange colour to the pics, typically I
> wasn't allowed a flash (understandable too). So as I'm still learning I
> decided to use Sport setting and leave it at that but the results were not
> all that good in fact it would seem the shutter was still far to slow as
> many of the shots on fast moving action are blurred. What would you guys
> have done in this situation.

Go to AV mode. Set to widest aperture. select continuous shooting. Select
servo focusing. take a shot or two so you can calibrate custom white
balance. Set iso speed manually to 800 or 1600
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:34:03 PM

> Sorry I'm going to seem really slow here what do you mean by "stop it
> down"
>
> Tony
>
> "eatmorepies" <jan9mung9mun9day@lineone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ritzy & Tony" <nospamritzyditzy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I've been enjoying my new purchase now for a few days (A Canon EOS 350D)
>> !!!
>>>
>>> It really is great !!!
>>>
>>> But thoughts have come round now to what Zoom Lens I need, for those
>>> times
>>> when you can quite get as close as you'd like to the action. Nothing
>>> over
>>> the top of course just something that isnt too expensive but gets
>> somewhere
>>> near my last digital camera ( a fuji s602z with telephoto lens (3x))
>>>

>> 1. Any L series lens - although you suggest that your budget may be
>> restricted, so;
>>
>> 2. The 28 to 105 f3.5/4.5.
>>
>> I'm in the UK and paid £189 for the 28-105. If you stop it down a little
>> it's quite sharp.

Stop it down means use an aperture smaller than the maximum. The maximum
size is 3.5. So he is suggesting using 5.6.
!