Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

AM3 CPU and AM3+ MoBo

Last response: in CPUs
Share

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
April 13, 2012 12:45:19 AM

Yes they are compatible, do you live near a microcenter by chance ?
Share
April 13, 2012 12:46:48 AM

cmi86 said:
Yes they are compatible, do you live near a microcenter by chance ?


Thanks man and I believe so there is one in Tustin, CA right?
Score
0
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2012 1:01:58 AM

You'll be fine. Just check the mobo manufacturer website and make sure the cpu you want to use is compatible without having to flash the BIOS (some early AM3+ boards needed a bios flash to work with AM3+ CPU's, only reason I mention it.) You should be golden though right out the box at this stage of things.
Score
0
a c 78 à CPUs
April 13, 2012 1:12:34 AM

Traber260 said:
Thanks man and I believe so there is one in Tustin, CA right?


Yes there is one in Tustin.

In which case I suggest you go there and buy this (not trying to bash your rig, just check it out)

This link is for the CPU which is a Phenom II 960T quad core 3.0Ghz.
The thing about these chips is they are actually built on the 6X thuban die and have 2X cores disabled from AMD
A source I have at AMD tells me the 960T has roughly an 80% rate of successful unlock to X6.
The 960T has an unlocked multiplier and can easily overclock past 4+ Ghz (with X4, mine and most others will not pass 3.8 when X6 but still lol)
The "Thuban" core Phenom II's have better memory controllers than any other AMD chip made to date
It's $13.00 more than the X3 for a GUARANTEED 4th core and a VERY good possibility of 3 more cores.


http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

No offense but the ASUS board you listed is junk, I personally went through 3 of them before just giving up and buying my asrock 970 extreme 3 for $80.00 and I have never been happier with any other board I have owned. This board has all the features of $150.00 + Motherboards.

USB 3.0
SATA 3
2X PCI-e X16 Slots (for dual graphics cards)
AM3+
both 95W and 125W CPU support
UEFI BIOS
A bunch of other nice little features.

This one is at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So $40 more than you were looking to spend and you are getting a WAY WAY WAY better combo with a Quad core Phenom II (very possibly 6 core)
A much higher quality and feature rich motherboard and an over all much more capable and quality computer.

If you have any questions please let me know as I personally own this set-up.
Score
0
April 13, 2012 4:19:33 AM

cmi86 said:
Yes there is one in Tustin.

In which case I suggest you go there and buy this (not trying to bash your rig, just check it out)

This link is for the CPU which is a Phenom II 960T quad core 3.0Ghz.
The thing about these chips is they are actually built on the 6X thuban die and have 2X cores disabled from AMD
A source I have at AMD tells me the 960T has roughly an 80% rate of successful unlock to X6.
The 960T has an unlocked multiplier and can easily overclock past 4+ Ghz (with X4, mine and most others will not pass 3.8 when X6 but still lol)
The "Thuban" core Phenom II's have better memory controllers than any other AMD chip made to date
It's $13.00 more than the X3 for a GUARANTEED 4th core and a VERY good possibility of 3 more cores.


http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

No offense but the ASUS board you listed is junk, I personally went through 3 of them before just giving up and buying my asrock 970 extreme 3 for $80.00 and I have never been happier with any other board I have owned. This board has all the features of $150.00 + Motherboards.

USB 3.0
SATA 3
2X PCI-e X16 Slots (for dual graphics cards)
AM3+
both 95W and 125W CPU support
UEFI BIOS
A bunch of other nice little features.

This one is at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So $40 more than you were looking to spend and you are getting a WAY WAY WAY better combo with a Quad core Phenom II (very possibly 6 core)
A much higher quality and feature rich motherboard and an over all much more capable and quality computer.

If you have any questions please let me know as I personally own this set-up.


I thank both of you guys CMI and Computernewb man those deals were awesome walked away with a FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core and a ASrock 970 for 160 and picked up the CM 435 Elite 204 bucks normally around 300 or so This rig was suppose to be for a tiny project and is turning into something with a bunch more power thanks a ton for all the help!
Score
0
a c 78 à CPUs
April 13, 2012 1:27:03 PM

well the 960T is better than the FX but that's ll good the FX is still way better than the X3 so ur good wither way ! Good luck and please select a best answer.
Score
0
April 16, 2012 12:52:49 PM

Best answer selected by traber260.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 3:52:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!