Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replace win 8 with xp?

Last response: in Windows 8
January 19, 2013 12:32:49 PM

Hello, new guy here. Got a new computer with windows 8 and it's not working out with some programs. I want to copy the os and hard drive. Format it then install a new copy of xp pro. I have a 1 tb external HDD. I hve been reading some steps to do but does anyone have any pitfalls to watch out for? If I mess up, can i reinstall the copy back onto the new computer ?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Ron

More about : replace win

January 19, 2013 12:46:08 PM

What other hardware do you have? Some newer hardware might not provide drivers for XP. What programs are you having trouble with? Have you thought about installing XP under VMWare player instead of completely replacing Win8?
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:53:38 PM

Getting Win XP to run on a new computer may be very difficult and you may not get everything working. Assuming that your computer is built by HP, dell or a company like that there should be a utility to create restoration disks (DVD) additionally their will likely be a recovery partition. As for installing Win XP you will need to check the computer manufactures website to see if drivers were written for XP for the computer. If there are none you can try to go to the component manufactures websites i.e. Intel / AMD ETC but you may not be able to get everything working that way. Your best option may be to downgrade (some might say upgrade) to Win7 PRO and install the software for XP mode. As long as you are not doing 3D it should work fine and allow you to keep a modern OS.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 2:21:40 PM

Thanks MauveCloud and navalweaponsofficer , please know I am not really tech saavy, but I can follow ( accurate )directions 100%. The only hardware is a printer. Win 8 will not let you define mail to POP3 servers ( have to use "hotmail" ) and my wife's nikon software won't work either. I don't do anything exotic, just BASIC computing. I will check on the drivers with Dell. As far as installing XP under VmWare player, that may be beyond my capabilities ( not the computers) but I will look into that.
Thanks again,
Ron
m
l

Best solution

January 19, 2013 2:48:08 PM

What are your specs? As suggested by others maybe there are no existing XP drivers for your hardware.

Also note that Microsoft will drop support for Windows XP by April 1st 2014 which is in just one year from now. So no more security patches after this date, I don't recommend using XP passed this date or maybe disable the network card to avoid going on the Internet as your system is likely to become vulnerable to OS security breaches that won't get fixed anymore.

But why do you want to physically install XP on your machine? You could just use a virtual machine instead, like Microsoft VirtualPC or Oracle VirtualBox, both are free. But note that a virtual machine can go on the web so you have to be careful to threats just as you do with a "real" installation.

Did you also consider Windows 7 instead? It's less "outdated" than XP. Or maybe you could troubleshoot your existing problems with 8. For instance, you could find an updated and compatible Nikon software for your wife or maybe try a different software that does just the same, there are many free software for photo editing.
January 19, 2013 3:36:56 PM

nekia19 said:
Hello, new guy here. Got a new computer with windows 8 and it's not working out with some programs. I want to copy the os and hard drive. Format it then install a new copy of xp pro. I have a 1 tb external HDD. I hve been reading some steps to do but does anyone have any pitfalls to watch out for? If I mess up, can i reinstall the copy back onto the new computer ?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Ron

Although there are many reasons you really should not do this, if you want to try, this is what you do. You need cloning software, like Acronis True Image. This will make a mirror image of your drive to another drive. Then you can format you current drive and install Win Xp. You could then clone or mirror the saved drive back at any time, should the XP path not be optimal or sort out your problems. I would highly suggest not reverting to XP on a brand new system. You may solve 1 problem, but at the same time create 10 more. Its that type of deal.
m
l
January 19, 2013 11:42:27 PM

nekia19 said:
Thanks MauveCloud and navalweaponsofficer , please know I am not really tech saavy, but I can follow ( accurate )directions 100%. The only hardware is a printer. Win 8 will not let you define mail to POP3 servers ( have to use "hotmail" ) and my wife's nikon software won't work either. I don't do anything exotic, just BASIC computing. I will check on the drivers with Dell. As far as installing XP under VmWare player, that may be beyond my capabilities ( not the computers) but I will look into that.
Thanks again,
Ron

Check the printer manufactures website for Win 8 drivers win 7 drivers will also likely work (that is what I had to use for my laser printer). WRT mail you don’t have to use Hotmail and you may be able to use your current email provider check with your email provider and see if they support IMAP or EAS protocol for email. If they do not you are still not out of luck on getting your old email account to work. You can and install MS Outlook which will allow you to use POP mail. A couple other programs that will also work are Mozilla Thunderbird (Free) and windows essentials mail (Free). Depending on what your wife does with her Nikon she may not even need the software. A memory card reader and photo editing software is all that is likely needed. There are some free photo editing programs that are pretty good. But you can also find Corel PSP on sale for pretty cheap from time to time. Or you can use adobe Photoshop essentials. Personally I have canon DSLR that came with lots of software but I have never had to install it to retrieve edit or organize my pictures.
m
l
January 29, 2013 11:48:18 AM

MC_K7 said:
What are your specs? As suggested by others maybe there are no existing XP drivers for your hardware.

Also note that Microsoft will drop support for Windows XP by April 1st 2014 which is in just one year from now. So no more security patches after this date, I don't recommend using XP passed this date or maybe disable the network card to avoid going on the Internet as your system is likely to become vulnerable to OS security breaches that won't get fixed anymore.

But why do you want to physically install XP on your machine? You could just use a virtual machine instead, like Microsoft VirtualPC or Oracle VirtualBox, both are free. But note that a virtual machine can go on the web so you have to be careful to threats just as you do with a "real" installation.

Did you also consider Windows 7 instead? It's less "outdated" than XP. Or maybe you could troubleshoot your existing problems with 8. For instance, you could find an updated and compatible Nikon software for your wife or maybe try a different software that does just the same, there are many free software for photo editing.

Hello,
I went to Oracle VirtualBox and went thru the tutorial a couple of times. Installed VirtualBox and then the XP pro ( which I will upgrade to Win 7 when I am more comfortable with it ) Looks like that this is the answer for me. A lot easier than wiping out Win 8 and doing a reinstall. I just had to install another security software with new key code. I am still getting used to Oracle VirtualBox , but it seems that it is running the programs that Win 8 wouldn't let me.( POP3 mail ) I will work with this a couple of months and then post again.

Thanks again
m
l
January 29, 2013 11:49:07 AM

Best answer selected by nekia19.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:42:47 PM

nekia19:

I've been struggling with these same issues. I want a dual boot with Win XP and Win 8. My newer faster computer - the reason I bought it - is a Dell XPS 8500 with i7-3700 Intel CPU & Chipsets (H77). The storage drivers for these chipsets (iaStorA.sys) do not support in XP. So I am slowly and reluctantly going toward a Virtual Environment.

But I was interested in you e-mail POP3 item. My ISP is Charter and the setup I used to get a good e-mail system was:
1. use Windows Essential - Windows Live Mail. Just the mail and the movie maker and you may not need or want the other Windows Essentials items. Very similar to the old Outlook Express. Don't use the Windows Mail of Win 8 (icon is the back of a single envelope). Use Windows Live Mail (icon is the front of 3 envelopes - colored blue, orange & green - with a stylized graphic that looks somewhat like a 'wing' on the front of the first envelope.
2. In the set up use (in my case) imap.charter.net in place of pop.charter.net AND select incoming port 143 and outgoing port 25 (ports would/could be different for different ISP. A Google search for "ISP provider name" imapi port might get you there.

Good Luck
Doug
m
l
!